Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 03:04 AM

Default PLO SNG Bubble Strategy (?)

Ok. I've been playing the $2 + $0.25 9p PLO SNGs over at FTP for a little dose of variation. I'm pretty comfortable with my early-stage play and early-bubble play when M is relatively high. However, with 4 or 5 players remaining and M around the 6-12 area, I've been in the dark. My general strategy here is to be aggressive pf with a wide range and try to take down the blinds. I tend to begin to slightly devalue the "slower" hands such as A765ds and play big pair w/ garbage hands such as QQ83 harder. Does this adjustment seem correct? Are there any general guidelines for the range of hands you need to play?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: PLO SNG Bubble Strategy (?)

The hands you play on the bubble are wholly dependent on the types of players you are up against. Some players will defend their blinds with almost any 4 cards. others are uber tight. Raising qq83 against the first will force you to shove a lot of bad flops because of pot size. Bubble strategy can lead to some very perverse post flop play as well, namely laying down big draws because 4th in chips has tiny chip stack and you dont want to lose yours.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 AM

My usual strategy for NLHE tourneys is to play very tight and catch some cards early on when people are gambling, hopefully then if i start to get low near the bubble i will have more fold equity when i start shoving pre flop

i think for Omaha you have to get involved early doors and try to build a stack, to avoid the situation you have described. i havent plays an awful lot of PLO tourneys but in my experience the big stack nearly always takes down the tourney, and having had that big stack its super easy to bully as even if a shortie pushes when you have a random hand you are very rarely worse than around 2-1.

So gambol early doors is my advice, although take that with a pinch of salt as its isnt really my field
Old 08-31-2007, 04:56 AM

The problem with STTs is that the upside profit is not nearly as high as in MTTs, therefore gambling early is a less profitable strategy in SNGs.