Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Live $40/$80 - turn decision FPS?

UTG is fairly tight, plays fit or fold on the flop, hates missing value bets, and never mucks on the river for 1 bet in a big pot.
BB is a very loose player (very frequently calls multiple bets cold)

preflop: <font color="red">UTG open raises</font>, mucked around to Hero in SB, Hero calls with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB calls (3 players, pot size 6 small bets)
flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] check, check, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero check raises</font>, BB cold calls, <font color="red">UTG 3 bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero caps it</font>, BB mucks, UTG calls (2 players, pot size 16 small bets)
turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero??

I think that UTG's range here is AdTd, AdKx, AdQx, AdJx, AA, KK, QQ. The overwhelming majority of the hands in this range will bet the turn if checked to. During the actual hand, I decided to check/call the turn representing KdQx.
My plan for the river was the following:
- if no diamond comes and the board doesn't pair: CR/call (or perhaps CR/muck depending on how UTG acts)
- board pairs: bet/call
- if a diamond comes, check/call

thoughts? comments?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Live $40/$80 - turn decision FPS?

all his hands except KK include draws so you should c/r the turn, no reason to wait until the river.

calling p/f with KJs in that spot and no one else in is pretty bad btw and will cost you some money in the long run.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 AM

Bet the flop, trap the BB for one bet, no reason to shut him out with a c/r. Bet the turn and 3-bet.

Where was this played?

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 05-19-2007, 04:47 AM

Mike has it right. I wonder, though, if it is possible to bet/3bet this. Mike is correct that there is little reason to wait for the river. Get your chk/rz in now.

You do need to fold this PF. His UTG range should be 99+, AQ+. This range destroys KJs. Additionally you are OOP (out of position) and need to pay a bet and a half, not just a one bet call in the BB. This is also a fold in the BB, if I know the limit hold them.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:50 PM

This is a pretty clearly a fold preflop vs. a tight UTG raiser as you describe and no callers.

-ActionBob
Old 05-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Fold preflop.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:01 PM

I was steaming at the time, and I made the preflop call knowing UTG's range had me in very bad shape, particularly if I flopped TP.

At any rate, thanks for the advice.

Joe, this was at Garden City