Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Internet Texas Hold\'em vs. Small Stakes Hold\'em

I know I will probably get a biased opinion here, but can someone explain to me which of these books will help my limit game out more?

I have played thousands of hands of limit and my numbers are in the black. However, I want to take my game to another level. Basically up til this point I have played the way Winning Low Limit Hold'em suggest.

I have both ITH and SSHE, but the twoplustwo style of writing does not really agree with me. I have read both of these books in the past and I really liked ITH. However, the last time I read these books was well over a year ago...maybe even 2 years ago.

Over that period of time I have mostly played mtts and sngs. However, now I am wanting to better develop my limit game. Which of these books would be better for me to study? Like I said, I am not some green beginner. I have played thousands of hands mostly live play. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Internet Texas Hold\'em vs. Small Stakes Hold\'em

2+2's writing has a lot of room for improvement, but the advice there is solid. Much of the advice requires some gutsy plays that intuitively sound so far off, your first instinct is play it safe. Don't. Just play the hands as instructed. I read SSHE two years ago and thought the advice was a bit reckless, but a little faith and a larger bankroll to deal with the swings proved me wrong.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:25 PM

I've read both twice as well

Ignoring Helmuths Texas Hold'em was the first two books I bought (I bought ITH and then SSHE a few days later)

I liked Hilger immensely then (about a year and a half ago) and couldn't make heads or tails out of Ed Miller.

I reread a year after and was surprised, that I didn't get Miller first time around. Perhaps it has something to do with having read most of the 2+2 library in the mean time and many more. Especially 7CSFAP is a great book)

I prefer SSHE now.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 PM

SSH is amazing.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 AM

If you're experienced in limit i would read SSH it will give you the extra tools, aggression, etc., IMHO.

i also have both and read both - i've read SSH almost 3 full times, i read ITH once.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
twoplustwo style of writing does not really agree with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.... 2+2's style of writing. I'm with you. I also think John's writing has always been a bit elusive.

In case you're wondering, I figure as long as 2+2 is now a writer, he should at least have a first name too, so I vote for John. John 2+2.

Albert
Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 AM

Albert, allow me to say [censored] you. You are the kind of person that ruins this forum for so many.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it would be impossible for me to recommend SSHE enough.

It might not be well written, it might be poorly organized, but the information is pure gold! I can't believe I still hear people say "loose games are just a lottery," and recomend not playing in them. There was an aritcle in Cardplayer last month saying just that, with an AK versus 86 hand to prove the point (anecdotal evidence, hahahahah).

If you're going to be playing in loose games like those found at low limits in live cardrooms, SSHE is the way to go. Read it, understand it, use it!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:21 AM

Why, because I have NO IDEA what a 2+2 style of writing is, and think that such a comment is pure nonsense and has no meaning?

Perhaps you'll next indulge in the Random House style of writing.

Albert
Old 09-11-2006, 11:31 AM

BTW, as to the books you mentioned (ignoring the senseless comment on the author), realize that both books are quite different despite the common subject matter.

ITH is an excellent book which can serve as a first-time primer, and goes about teaching the usual concepts to help you start.

SSHE is not a first book. Miller (the author BTW) gives you a recipe to beat the small stakes games. It is almost a step-by-step guide on how to beat them. And he succeeds and explains fantastically, which is why it is such a must-read for so many.

You may easily reach the same level reading either of them, but the fact is they go about taking you to that level in different ways.

I'd consider getting King Yao's 'Weighing the Odds' too.

Albert