Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Middle pair in Blind Situation

Full Tilt 2/4, 8 handed, Villain is 27/16/2.2 after 166 hands.

Preflop: folded to Villain in cutoff who raises, Button folds, Hero 3-bets in SB w/A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB folds, Villain calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls.

My rationale for each street:

Preflop, my opponent is aggresive, so I should be ahead a good amount here and I'm creating some fold equity while also creating dead money when BB folds.

Flop: Standard lead w/ MP, I just call the raise thinking WA/WB, planning to call down most of the time.

Turn: Still planning to call down.

River: I bet for two reasons; I don't want to give a free showdown to a hand that may make a crying call (KK-JJ, 2 pair, etc.) and I don't really like getting 3-bet on the river.

Any comments welcome, thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Middle pair in Blind Situation

Villian is pretty aggressive so I probably go for the checkraise on the river instead of donking but I don't have a huge problem at all with leading.

Rest is fine.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:56 AM

a river check-raise should definitely be considered but i like the hand as played as well.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 AM

I'd like to know more about villain's stealing range before I 3-bet. I'd sometimes fold here if he is not a frequent blind stealer. Raising seems good. Calling seems bad.

I think flop, turn, and river are good.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is pretty aggressive so I probably go for the checkraise on the river instead of donking but I don't have a huge problem at all with leading.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree that this decision is close. I prefer bet-calling to check-raise-calling. I think villain was probably value raising and betting without an ace throughout the hand. The ace would seem to be one of the scariest cards to fall for him. I don't think his hand would usually be strong enough to not be scared of the ultimate overcard. It could even be said that we have played the hand as if we do hold a big ace. I think a check through from him seems likely. I think it's often worth taking the risk of losing a bet on the end if there is a chance of gaining two (when he bet-calls), but IMO this a case where he doesn't bet-call enough to make check-raising correct.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: I just call the raise thinking WA/WB, planning to call down most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah! This is not WA/WB! The board is drawy, your opponents range is very large, and if he has 89 on the flop, you are anything but WA/WB. This post (among others) has made me want to reiterate what WA/WB is (going to get on it ASAP since I have a slow day at work.)

Anyways, PF is fine if you have a good handle on his steal range. I sometimes lead the flop, sometimes C/R. I think C/C the turn is fine since that was a terrible card for you, and not betting the river would be horribly weak, but 3-betting would probably be spew. I like it.