Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Limp raising?

I've had this happen to me a few times over the last few sessions. Usually people limp UTG or MP, I bet pot and they would 3bet me.

What does this mean?

I know it depends greatly on the player so lets just divide it into 3 catagories:
15/9/1
20/18/3
35/15/2

And what hands are you calling with against each one of these players? Assume just a standard RR nothing big, but not a min-RR either.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Limp raising?

I've never seen this done without something massive (specifically AA, KK, or AK repping either of these). My advice is to assume this is the case until you've seen that specific player show down something else after doing this. I think it's much more person-dependent than it is stat dependent...but that's just been my experience at uNL.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 PM

yeah majority of the time this is a BIIIIG hand aa kk qq imo
Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 PM

I'll add that I've been known to do this with AK from time to time, but I don't mind getting out on the flop if I miss. I think it can be disastrous limping with KK and QQ because you won't fold out junk hands that might randomly hit 2 pair or some funky draw. (Though the 2 pair is far worse) Furthermore, you encourage A-x hands to come along for the ride and beat you on the flop...

END RANT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Maybe it's you. Maybe they are 3-betting because you keep folding. Maybe they are 3-betting because the limpers all keep folding. Is it always the same guy? Does it happen once per orbit?

It's actually kind of an interesting squeeze play. The limpers in between you (the raiser) and early position (the re-raiser) can't be happy at all. And you are only playing the top four hands or even only AA or KK, then this re-raiser has a good chance of taking down a nice pot uncontested.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM

Mostly playing NL2 right now until build BR to $100

I've called this crazy all-in twice in the last month and once it was pocket 8s and the other time it was 63o. Both players were not playing overly agg. or loose- probably figure that without a good hand, will get the fold. I called because I had AA and KK those times. I've folded several decent hands (AQ, JJ-, etc) to this junk because without knowing, I don't think it's worth my stack.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM

I am very liable to limp/reraise much lighter than most people, in part because I know that they think I'll have a monster.

In certain games I am going for a deliberate limp-shove with a strong hand because I can reasonably expect a raise behind me...in others it is because I don't like the way the flop could be setting up multi-way for the raised bet. The third (and most common) reason is that I limped and a short stack is all in and I am reraising to isolate.

But generally (I play medium stakes live) anytime you see a limper 3bet a pot, they either have a monster or nothing and are just making a move (this does include people who limp behind).