Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Bellagio 80/160 shorthanded hand #2

Villain is the same as my hand #1 post - slight LAG tricky high limit probable winner who isn't sober.

5 handed, fish limps UTG, villain raises in CO, I 3 bet A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the small blind, both call.

Flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I bet, fish folds, villain calls fast.

Turn is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I bet, villain insta raises, I think and call.

River is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check/call.

Again too passive? Anyone find a fold somewhere?

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-13-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 80/160 shorthanded hand #2

you need to 3 bet that turn and call down given the player profile. youre leaving money on the table. calling the turn and donk-calling the river is okay too.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you need to 3 bet that turn and call down given the player profile. youre leaving money on the table. calling the turn and donk-calling the river is okay too.

[/ QUOTE ]

AT firs tI Was thinking river donk as well, but doesnt a c/r have to be better? IMO, he is very rarely checking behind on this river - he has no real reason to think hero can beat him and might as well bet again if he was on a draw.

I would hate getting three bet on the river, but it seems like that would be pretty rare here.

3 betting the turn if fine too.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:53 PM

I don't understand how donk/calling the river is anywhere near as profitable as 3betting the turn. I think it is a must-3bet.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 PM

what i should have more clearly said was that donk-calling the river is the second best option after 3 betting the turn. that's what i was saying just not clearly.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how donk/calling the river is anywhere near as profitable as 3betting the turn. I think it is a must-3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys folding to a 4 bet?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:17 AM

Ok so clearly I played this one too passively. My first thought at the table was to 3 bet the turn and then I basically thought the board was pretty scary plus if I called he might "value bet" the river with a worse hand anyway but I understand in shorthanded games like this I need to not totally let him control the action on the big streets so I guess I screwed this one up. And of course I was never folding but I figured better cover all aspects.

One thing I will say is I'm getting pretty good at letting the LAG TAG type of guys who want to always test you on the big streets just go for it and just play meekly against them out of position but make sure to showdown and pick off a ton of bluffs. So for instance here I don't need a hand nearly as strong as AA to get to showdown which I think somewhat counterbalances my passivity on the big streets because they make mistakes bluffing hopelessly against me.

This time he flopped the world with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] though.

Thanks for the comments,
DeathDonkey
Old 03-15-2006, 01:23 PM

"I'm getting pretty good at letting the LAG TAG type of guys who want to always test you on the big streets just go for it and just play meekly against them out of position but make sure to showdown and pick off a ton of bluffs."

that's not enough. to really excel you need to make them pay for their shenanigans by raising them and making them pay for drawing or value betting thin against you. it's rare in limit hold em that people are on complete air bluffs, usually they have some sort of outs. make them regret they ever messed with you.