Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 PM

Default 100 NL - Bad Beat or Misplayed

I'm new on the board and semi new to poker, been playing at commerce in Los Angeles since Nov of 05.

100 NL Table
I am UTG and limp in with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 callers then button raises to 25, he'd been bluffing alot throughout the night and was known to steal pots. Buttons fold - I call, UTG+1 goes all in for 28, everyone else folds, Button and I call the extra 3 bucks. Flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I check, Button goes in for 50, I move all in with 110 left, button calls, I flip over KQ, he flips over KQ but both spades, he turns a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and then 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s --

Did I miss play this? Just get a bad beat? Also I prefer 100 NL cash games, can anyone suggest a good book? I've read a few but they were geared towards Tournament play.

two weekends ago i won 1200, then I lost 1300, this past weekend I won 1060 but lost 500 last night. So I am up since i picked the game back up several weeks ago but a bit frustrated that I am on such a roller coaster. I tend to play tight aggressive but I tend to favor suited middle connectors and puddle hopers more then I probably should.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Default Re: 100 NL - Bad Beat or Misplayed

Regarding the hand, your preflop play is just plain terrible.

The best advice I can give you is to go to the SSNL forum and read through all the stickied posts and articles at the top of the forum as a start.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't say you took a bad beat because your opponent played the hand quite well. I would say more that you got unlucky. But you put yourself in that situation and I will explain.

I see multiple flaws in the way you played the hand.

A. Limping UTG. The only spot where I would ever do this is with AA or KK so I could re-raise pre-flop. Even with these hands you are asking for trouble, so do it rarely.

B. Playing KQ UTG. You have 8 or 9 people left to act after you before the flop. The odds of one of them have a pocket pair or AK, AQ is pretty good. KQ is easily dominated and you can really cause problems for yourself playing it out of position. Depending on the quality of play at your table, KQ is often an easy fold here.

Your opponent on the button played quite well. Your limp induced 4 more limps into the pot. Since the button acts last throughout the hand, KQ plays much better there because you can make decisions after everybody else. 5 people showed weakness by limping, so his raise was a good play as he figured he had the best hand. Once you and the all-in player committed to the hand, the pot was so big he had to play it all the way, so he put himself in a good position to get lucky if that makes sense.

For book reads, I recommend Harrington on Hold Em (you will learn alot of skills and thought processes that will help your cash game, even though it is a tournament book). Also Super System 2. You need to be aggressive in poker and Doyle's game is exactly that.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:04 AM

1st of all limping utg in NLH is not the end of the world,but you shouldnt be calling raises with mediocre hands.After calling that huge raise on the flop you were kinda committed seeing you hit top pair,so the hand kinda played itself after the flop.Oh ya,did you have those huge swings at a 100$nl game,wild game if you did.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 AM

Misplayed preflop by calling raise,bad beat on river,so to answer your question .BOTH
Old 06-10-2006, 01:10 AM

Rule #1, if you are first in the pot, you should raise. If you are new to poker, i wouldn't suggest playing this hand without some sort of pf raise, as you will likely flop TPGK, and this is not a good position to be in a multiway pot.
Bieng scared that someone else has AK, AQ is not good. While this may happen, you will know that someone gas one of these, as you will likely ram into a pfrr against this hand. A hand that is more likely to make TP is best played agianst one or two opponents. If you miss, you can press the next barrel, you will accomplish this much easier agianst one or two players.

As for books. SS 1 & 2. The Little Green Book.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:33 AM

does it make any diffrence that the raises was bordering on maniac and wass a wild player all night?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:34 AM

With that being the case it may make a difference. My question is was he truly being a maniac? A good aggressive player will bet/raise 3 or 4 times more often than they check/call. Since you are relatively new to the game, you are most likely pretty passive (we all are at first, so that's not a shot a you), so it may have just seemed like he was a maniac. Lots of good players raise frequently from late position regardless of their holdings to take advantage of the passive players at the table as well. If he was a maniac after you consider these facts, then you can justify the call.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rule #1, if you are first in the pot, you should raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a stupid rule to me. There should be a number of situations where you limp being first in? For instance, limping first in with a pair of aces if you know someone behind you will raise while still being oblivious to what your preflop reraise means. A rather extreme example, but there are more than one spot where limping first in is the best choice.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't limp w/ that hand UTG. Also, KQ isn't exactly a hand you're looking to play for all your chips.