Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Default This is crazy to me...

I just finished a conversation with a few individuals in a chat room about playing poker for a living.

It's absolutely insane to me how the average person that knows what the game of poker is, and has played it on occasion, has absolutely no concept or grasp on how possible it is to actually make a living off of it.

I've explained the concept of bankroll management, and probability in poker to people so many times that I can't count them, and by the end of the conversation it seems as if they still either cannot understand the points I have made, or simply refuse to agree with me, no matter how logical I might be.

Even the ones that aren't hostile toward my ambition to play poker for a living have a condescending tone to their closing statements.

It's like the media negativity about gambling has fueled these false ideas about poker for so long that they literally believe it to be impossible to make a living off of.

It does not really bother me too much, because I remember when I first heard about people playing poker for a living, I didn't think it was possible either. Eventually of course after viewing the results some of my friends were experiencing in their poker careers, I looked a little bit deeper into the subject.

It's aboslutely crazy to me what a small percentage of our population understands how its possible to generate income playing poker. I hope it stays that way, because I really dont need any more competition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I almost feel like I have a hidden advantage over everyone else in the world because my career is so non-understood and looked down upon. I think its great.