Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 AM

Default 88 in the small blind to a raise

Read on opponent is VP$P 26, PFR 13, TA 2.11 over 40 hands

Full Tilt 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 AM

Default Re: 88 in the small blind to a raise

I would raise or fold preflop depend on read.

As played I would play flop the same.
Turn I would probably call ... He can be at strong draw like Adxd
River probably I would fold after he bet when he could check behind.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 AM

His range could be any 77+, less QQ+, as there is no re-raising action on the flop.

Small chance he's raising a made set on the turn, as I doubt he would raise OOP with hole cards with small pairs. He's aggro enuff to raise with draws on the turn.

I would call the raise, and if river is another harmless card (&lt;8) I'd call to showdown.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 AM

There's only a small number of hands on your opponent so the read could be off.

It seems to me he's representing a 5 (either pocket 5s or A5s), but it's possible he's bluffing.
He could very well have an other overpair.

I'd say call the raise and call him down on the river.

FWIW, I'd have played it the same way...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Fold preflop. I don't want to play this hand out of position against an early-position raiser.

Given that you're in the hand, I play the flop and turn the same way. I fold to the turn raise; villain is representing an overpair, and I tend to believe him.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Preflop is either raise or fold. If you want to play this OOP vs. tight-ish aggressive EP raiser you want to do it HU e.g. raise to get BB to fold and create some dead money in there. 3-betting can create some fold equity for you as well - something cold-calling doesn't really accomplish...

Flop: good.
A big part of his range is overcards so check-raise while you are ahead for value and protection. UTG's likely to have at least 6 outs and you want to lose BB from the pot with your marginal hand.

Turn:
Leading is standard.

Villain is representing an overpair (77-JJ, maybe QQ-AA) - possibly slowplayed on flop and to see if turn is a safe card. You are getting 9:2 to call-down. If behind an overpair you have 4 outs: 2 for set and 4 for split pot (= 2).

Still it's a difficult call-down, I'd muck this.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is either raise or fold. If you want to play this OOP vs. tight-ish aggressive EP raiser you want to do it HU e.g. raise to get BB to fold and create some dead money in there. 3-betting can create some fold equity for you as well - something cold-calling doesn't really accomplish...

Flop: good.
A big part of his range is overcards so check-raise while you are ahead for value and protection. UTG's likely to have at least 6 outs and you want to lose BB from the pot with your marginal hand.

Turn:
Leading is standard.

Villain is representing an overpair (77-JJ, maybe QQ-AA) - possibly slowplayed on flop and to see if turn is a safe card. You are getting 9:2 to call-down. If behind an overpair you have 4 outs: 2 for set and 4 for split pot (= 2).

Still it's a difficult call-down, I'd muck this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 PM

He could also semi-bluff raise very strong draw like AdKd or just any Ax FD or raise for free SH weaker hand like 77.
This type of villain could play tricky.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:40 PM

I don't like the cold call preflop. I'd probably fold, but might raise, depending on villain.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 PM

Fold pf. U are OOP against an aggro TAG with a hand that at best is slihtly ahead and at worst is crushed.