Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:25 AM

Default $0.5 - $1 NL cash 6 handed Early Limper

I have found myself in this position recently on too many occasions and I am not sure what to do now.

You are in mid position and you get an early limper utg or utg+1. You look down and see a suited low ace or something like a connected hand or suited connectors. Hands that you would ideally like to see a flop with but are prepared to fold if you hit top pair and get action.

Now in the long run is it profitable to call with these sort of hands???
What do you do if you call and then someone raises after you???
Are you calling to hit 2 pair or some kind of draw??? If so how big does the raiser have to raise to get you to fold???

Cheers
Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: $0.5 - $1 NL cash 6 handed Early Limper

Calling after he limped (overlimping) is generally bad because you only do it with weak/medium strength hands. You define your hand too clearly by overlimping in those spots.

I'd therefore either raise or fold - the same as I'd normally be doing preflop if he wasn't in the hand. You should tighten your requirements for raising a little, but that's the only adjustment you need to make really.

Let's say you'd normally open 45s+ from the CO, but UTG limped. You should tighten your requirements to perhaps 78s+ and be raising over him.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 AM

I've started limping a whole load more in situations like this and think my results have improved. So long as you don't have aggressive people left to act that love to pwn limpers. I used to always raise in spots like this and it cost me more preflop and more on the flop with cbetting, now if I can get in cheap and hit a hand I'll do it. The site I play in is generally loose/passive though so I expect it works better there than somewhere with lots of aggression.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM

the great thing about poker is that there is no certain way to play a hand. sometimes its ok to limp. it depends alot on the table feel, whether a raise behind you is probable,whether the limper is action, but typically online 6 max no its not profitable.