Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Drugs to make poker less addictive?

So I guess we all know that poker alters our brain chemistry in much the same way as some drugs. The elated rush from a winning session and the corresponding feeling of wealth resulting from the belief that one can make 1k in any hour of any day by simply screwing around on his computer. At the same time, one almost never feels as deflated as after a horrible losing session, and that feeling can last for days. I think these phenomena are inescapable for most people, and personally find it has one of the strongest influences on my brain chemistry of all of the stimuli I've ever experienced.

My question is, is there anything one do to prevent these mood swings, especially insomuch as to prevent addiction, which results from the sensory association with the elated feelings of rushes, and the persistent preoccupation, which results from that bleak feeling of depression associated with downswings?

I've read Zen and the Art of Poker, and it was ok though it was mostly common sense. Capping the number of hands played per session and number of sessions per day would probably help too, but that's easier said than done since the major sites don't have this feature (I think it would need to be something that's hard-coded into the client since I doubt pure discipline would work). Are there any safe drugs or supplements that can help with mood moderation so that a session of poker wouldn't affect me psychologically more than, say, a semi-friendly game of softball?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Drugs to make poker less addictive?

As is the subject of the "self medication" thread, herb really has a regulatory effect on your emotional state. It keeps you much more even keeled and really controls your mood swings. I look at buying pot and the risks associated with doing something that is technically illegal as an investment in my poker career.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As is the subject of the "self medication" thread, herb really has a regulatory effect on your emotional state. It keeps you much more even keeled and really controls your mood swings. I look at buying pot and the risks associated with doing something that is technically illegal as an investment in my poker career.

[/ QUOTE ] Chronic= +EV,lol. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] If you ever see me make it big and Carlson is on the final table on TV, I won't be wearing sunglasses so my competition won't see my eyes or get a read. I'll be wearing them b/c my eyes are red from the green smoke,lol.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 AM

There is some ongoing research on the use of opiate receptor blockers (naloxone). There is strong evidence to suggest that blocking these receptor sites may reduce the "high" one gets from gambling.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Losing at poker after smoking weed is like getting punched in the face while drunk or half asleep. The [censored] hurts but it seems really far away, but then you freak out because you know that distant pain is actually something pretty bad.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 AM

things are easier to take while smoking+playing, and i dont find even while multitabling that it makes me focus less or anything else

i agree weed is +EV [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]