Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Default AQ turn action

Back to basics. I have been getting beat a lot lately and I want to do a 3,000 hour check up on my poker strategy. I played this hand online months ago and it looks like a good one to review. It looks to me like a hand that I would run into on a live $3/$6 table.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ???.

The options are to give a free card if he caught his flush or bet and call a check raise. I have outs to a FH which is 3.5 - 1.

I am leaning toward a bet being the correct action. If raised then call the river if there is a non-heart and bet/raise with my FH.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: AQ turn action

This is a very easy bet/call. Unless another heart shows up you have to show this down.

And threebang preflop.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very easy bet/call. Unless another heart shows up you have to show this down.

And threebang preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I forgot to 3-bet the flop here - this was back in March so I must have been in my more passive phase.

Thanks

I bet and he raised, I called and a 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hit the river. He bet and I called. You know the outcome right? He had J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I am more concerned with making the correct play than the results.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 PM

* grunch *

I usually always 3bet AQo preflop (although against certain players I'm not sure if this is correct); I'm pretty sure AQs must be 3bet preflop.

I'd play flop the same way.

Turn I think you must bet because (a) you're probably ahead and (b) you have to charge villain to draw to his one card flush. If raised I think I have to call down.

If called, I think I still bet a non-heart river, although I'm not sure that is correct. If he's raised an A preflop I'm guessing it's more likely AK than AJ. But it could also be he's calling you down with a big pocket pair with a heart and by this time the pot is big enough that he might pay you off. If villain bets a heart river, I think the pot is going to be big enough to make a call.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the reply gobbleygeek. As I said I am reviewing my hands to see if my strategy is still sound. This hand was in March and I re-read SSHE after that so lately I am 3-betting with AQ suited. Off suit I am not so aggressive live or online.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:55 PM

Easiest bet/call evar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easiest bet/call evar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad that everyone so far agrees not to play passive since he could have a lot of hands other than the flush and ck/r me. The long term correct strategy is to bet and call. A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river would give me pause.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:06 PM

i'd rather 3bet his c/r than giving a freecard there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

really easy b/c
Old 10-17-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd rather 3bet his c/r than giving a freecard there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

really easy b/c

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no one suggested a 3-bet on the turn with 3 hearts showing. I do have outs to a FH which will come in 23% of the time. So, I think that additional money if I need my FH is -EV. But, if I am ahead it is +EV. Interesting concept.

3-bet is better than check, agree with that.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM

I'm kind of weak with PF, possibly because I play live exclusively and 3-bet TT/AKo+ against normal players, so I don't like CCing here. I very much am a 3-bet or fold person, and would rather 3-bet here, especially if he's aggro (I 3-town AQs, just not against LP's.)

Not betting the turn is criminal, IMO. If he has a flush, good for him. You're ahead here a lot, and if behind, you have a few outs.