Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Do standard tow trucks have an air pump?

Do tow trucks have an air pump for something like deflated tires? I'm selling a car that has been sitting in a garage (not even started) for 7 years (tires have deflated) and would like to be able to tell the buyer about it if and only if i have to.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Do standard tow trucks have an air pump?

I think most of them carry a compressed air tank for filling tires.

You can also get a cheap 12-volt compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter from any Walmart type store. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Just a warning, I sold a car once that had been sitting for about a year on deflated tires. I figured we could inflate the tires when the buyer came to pick it up. But from sitting on a flat spot for so long, the tires had become mishapen to the point where they could no longer hold air. If it wasn't just a parts car that I was practically giving away for free, it probably would have been pretty embarassing.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Yeah, if they've deflated and lost a bead you will probably have to jack the car up to refill them. Even with it jacked up, you might also need a high pressure compressed air source to re-seat the bead(s). Sometimes just a can of Fix-A-Flat will do the trick. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 PM

thanks for the excellent advices both of you.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and would like to be able to tell the buyer about it if and only if i have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are looking for a way to not disclose a possible safety issue with the car to your buyer?

Tires develop a condition known as dry-rotting over time. Basically the rubber deteriorates causing the tires to become unstable and unable to withstand the rising temperatures created by high speed driving.

You could be held liable in the event you sold a car with unsafe rubber on it and didn't inform them and an accident occurred as a result.

To answer your question, yes almost all wreckers are equipped w/ air tanks to inflate your tires. As someone else pointed out, if the beads separated from the rim the service of a tire station may be needed.

Later
Old 09-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Most tow trucks have a compressor. Most also carry a "dolly" which has it's own small wheels and tires and can be used to tow cars with flat tires or damaged wheels. Also, many tow trucks now are the kind with a tilting bed and a winch so the car can be winched up onto the bed of the truck. You can also buy little compressors that plug into a cigarette lighter. These are pretty slow, but beat the heck out of a hand or foot pump.