Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Tv Tuner not Detected by Media Center

I reformatted my computer today with Windows Media Center Edition 2005, which my computer used to have before I reformatted.

When I open Media Center, it says it doesn't detect my TV Tuner, which is a HAUPPAGE M922. When I went to the HP site, I downloaded the drivers, which installed, but when I restart, it still doesn't work.

Also in the Device Manager, it doesn't detect the TV Tuner.

And on the HAUPPAGE site, they dont list my TV Tuner because it is probably too old.

What do i do?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Tv Tuner not Detected by Media Center

Odd that it doesn't show up in the Device Manager. IMO, that is problem #1. Until XP actually "sees" the tuner, MCE can't see it either. I assume there are no yellow ! showing in the Device Manager?

While I can't see this being the answer, I think I'd shut everything down, turn off the power, open the case up and pull out the tuner, I assume it's a PCI card. Restart, shutdown, then reinsert the tuner card and restart again. See if Windows recognizes the new hardware and tries to install it.

Let us know what happens.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Oh i checked the yellow and what happened was, the spec page on HP stated a different TV Tuner than what was installed on mine.

So it was the yellow. Now when I'm in the program, it says theres a decoder error

i appreciate the help
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 PM

Ok, so the tuner is properly installed and MCE recognizes it correct? If so, we can move on.

The decoder error.....MCE needs a MPEG/DVD decoder to work properly. HP should obviously provided you with one since it worked before. However, in situations like mine where I build my MCE machine, I had to purchase the decoder separately. They are tons of decoder options, mine just happens to be from NVIDIA. You'll have to figure out where yours is on the HP discs I'm afraid.

Worst case you can probably find the decoder on HP's site or you might have to actually contact them to find out where you need to find it.

I know that isn't a huge help, but hopefully it will get you going in the right direction.