Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Nl25 - Am I a station here with my QQ?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($9.40)
UTG+1 ($14.65)
MP1 ($68.40)
MP2 ($15)
Hero ($24.15)
Button ($24.30)
SB ($12.65)
BB ($20.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.60) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

Turn: ($9.60) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1.25</font>, Hero calls $1.25.

River: ($12.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $15.10
-----------------------------
If I was first to act on the flop I would have put in a decent sized cbet but since he acted first calling seemed like the only option. I was really lost on this hand, I was praying for an ace not to come up.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Nl25 - Am I a station here with my QQ?

He probably has a decent A here, something like AT. Calling is the worst play you could have made on that flop... he bet $1 into a $7.60 pot and you have position. I'm making it $5.50 or $6 to try and take it down. Just fold to a raise and shut down if he calls.

If you don't think he'll let go of an A then just fold... it's small bets, but he's not doing that without an A almost always.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:10 PM

+1

Calling is by far the worst line here. Raise the flop and shut down against further resistance.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Would a weak ace call a reraise OOP? I think it's equally likely that villain has 88, TT,JJ here and is "feeling" for an ace. I agree that raising the flop is goot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 PM

If you're raising the flop here it's either a bluff or it's for value. Don't raise "for information". If you feel you are way ahead of his donk-bet/call range and/or he may fold a weak ace (which I doubt at NL25) or KK, then by all means, raise it up. Don't raise "to take it down now", it makes absolutely no sense, DUCY?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would a weak ace call a reraise OOP? I think it's equally likely that villain has 88, TT,JJ here and is "feeling" for an ace. I agree that raising the flop is goot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At nl25? Yes. =d
Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're raising the flop here it's either a bluff or it's for value. Don't raise "for information". If you feel you are way ahead of his donk-bet/call range and/or he may fold a weak ace (which I doubt at NL25) or KK, then by all means, raise it up. Don't raise "to take it down now", it makes absolutely no sense, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he's betting to give himself the odds to draw at the flush?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he's betting to give himself the odds to draw at the flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are raising for value, not for him to fold.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't raise "to take it down now", it makes absolutely no sense, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't see why. I do think he will fold a weak A or most of the holdings he's making this bet with to a raise... that's why he made a feeler bet -- to get away as cheap as possible if he's behind rather than going for a c/r.

If you're implying you should "take it away from him" on a later street I disagree. At least on this level people believe they're comitted much earlier than they really are and it becomes much harder to move him off a weak A, especially after "disguising" the strength of your hand.

Also, if we're beat, we are the ones that get off cheap when he stays with us in the pot after a flop raise.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't raise "to take it down now", it makes absolutely no sense, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't see why. I do think he will fold a weak A or most of the holdings he's making this bet with to a raise... that's why he made a feeler bet -- to get away as cheap as possible if he's behind rather than going for a c/r.

If you're implying you should "take it away from him" on a later street I disagree. At least on this level people believe they're comitted much earlier than they really are and it becomes much harder to move him off a weak A, especially after "disguising" the strength of your hand.

Also, if we're beat, we are the ones that get off cheap when he stays with us in the pot after a flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was, don't raise to fold worse hands, raise to get worse hands to call, and raise to get better hands to fold (which is what you're saying, so I guess we're in agreement).