Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Default 200NL very strange hand, my line and villain\'s line are strange

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($202)
BB ($198)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $16</font>, Hero calls $10.

Flop: ($32) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $28</font>, Hero calls $28.

Turn: ($88) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($88) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $77</font>, Hero calls $77.

Final Pot: $242

This was the first flop we saw with villain. His line just doesn't make sense, so I decided to be a calling station. I decided to chase that gutshot because I intended to bluff him later, then I made a pair. It was something suspicious about his flop bet also, just one of my feelings, otherwise I wouldn't call.

It is a strange hand, even calling preflop. Don't call me a donk, sometimes I have instincts that I can't really describe. I felt I could outplay him without even knowing a lot about him. Somehow I saw him as the guy who will try to playback at my aggression even though I didn't see a flop with him yet. Just from his preflop actions.

Maybe not the right hand to post here on the forum because you should be playing with the guy to understand this hand.

However, forget about that insticts stuff and suppose that the reason for my preflop and flop call was that I decided to bluff him later at a hand, I have to call the river, right?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 200NL very strange hand, my line and villain\'s line are strange

Turn could be a whiffed CR or pot control. Most villains don't exercise pot control with decent hands and will keep betting so I think a queen is unlikely. Hands that legitimately play this way are AA, KK and JJ so those are what we fear the most.

This river call is very game flow dependant and as the match was so new I would give him credit and fold this one. I make a ton of hero calls but tend to like to know a bit about my villain before doing so.

As a one off hand and knowing how the 1/2 game plays you could be looking at anything from AA to J2s here and neither would be a big surprise. But I still fold. He gets credit the first time.

Edited to say that I also fold JTo this early in a match to a 3 bet from unknown villain.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM

most of the time i use this line i have a good top pair or better, as it confuses most into calling, and give those that float plenty of rope to hang themselves.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:21 PM

i agree 100% with stealthy
Old 09-24-2007, 01:25 AM

i like your line

but as guys said you prob should fold it first times
Old 09-24-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
most of the time i use this line i have a good top pair or better, as it confuses most into calling, and give those that float plenty of rope to hang themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

But would you use that line against unknown player?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 AM

I'm instacalling this. That is a hefty bet considering you have shown no strength. It looks more to me like cbet, hope he checks and I hit, I missed so I'll try to bet him out.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm instacalling this. That is a hefty bet considering you have shown no strength. It looks more to me like cbet, hope he checks and I hit, I missed so I'll try to bet him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or opponent thought process could be, well he called a PSB on that flop, he's gotta have a Q. Time to take him to value town.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or opponent thought process could be, well he called a PSB on that flop, he's gotta have a Q. Time to take him to value town.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense, but the turn check would be a pretty unusual line for just a queen. I guess it depends what level of thinking he is on.