Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Postflop hand from last Sunday Million

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t28080)
UTG+1 (t18620)
MP1 (t24239)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 (t26810)</font>
MP3 (t37842)
CO (t13060)
Button (t25540)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t59890)</font>
BB (t27660)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t800, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t2320) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t2400</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t25970</font>, Hero calls t23570.

Final Pot: t54260

I just cant put such a stupid overbet as a ten most the time, me and my mate were chatting on IM while my counter ticked down btw trying to analise it and come up with a solid range, this wasnt an insta call, i just couldnt put him on a T nearly often enough imo to fold.

Btw, was pretty new (like an orbit or so) to this table so no specific reads on villain. My image has been solid having took down a couple pots, but id shown a smaller lead bet on the flop the hand before where i hit a flush on turn to take a solid pot down - so that hand stuck in my mind a little.

For my normal smaller buy in games ive made tougher calls and been right 90% of the time, and my stack left over helped a lot here too.

I also realised that i had a fair few redraw outs if im wrong - so i moved that pointer and hit call.

Bad move?

REALLY bad move?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Postflop hand from last Sunday Million

I wouldn't lead pot from the SB with 2nd pair and gutshot on a fairly coordinated board.

When you do that, you have a good chance to take down the pot, but you probably have to consider it a bluff or semibluff and give the hand up if you get called and you don't improve.

The push could be a draw or a pair plus draw. Villain might push a strong made hand in this situation, like TPGK, 2-pair, or a big pp. He probably doesn't push a set. Even with pot odds, I don't think you have odds to call versus villain's range.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 PM

I like to lead into short hand pots in hands like this because its frequency of success is very high - basicly BB wont be involved, and if the limper is i can narrow his range pretty easily.

And like you said its a good semibluff/bluff - if he had raised back a 'standard' amount i could lay down without problem.

It was the big shove that threw me on this hand.

Like i say, in the games i normally play i never expect to see more than a flush draw and overcards here - at small buyins they will often use a big all in as a way of killing a hand straight away on a semibluff or otherwise vulnerable hand.

I defer to others wisdom what this often means in a $200 buyin game, even one relatively weak like the million, as ive only played such big buy ins a couple times in the past.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Say you are MP2 and you limped in with AA, 76s, or 66. You see SB lead out pot. You think "Wow, he really likes his hand, but I think mine in better. Maybe, he'll call a push. It will look like a semibluff with a flush draw, and I don't think he can fold. Even if he does, the pot is already pretty big and I don't risk getting drawn out on with a somewhat dangerous board."