Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 AM

Default Stars $22 180 - JJ in BB postflop.

New to MTTs, been playing STTs for awhile. Anyway, there were 28 players left during this hand, so everybody had tightened up a bit.

MP1 has been a huge donk throughout, making very strange calls and raises. Anyway, I think I shouldve raised more PF, but im looking for comments on Flop and Turn.

In retrospect, I think I should have put him all in on the turn.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t6240)
UTG+1 (t11365)
MP1 (t5830)
CO (t12685)
Button (t12563)
SB (t12790)
Hero (t8300)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t400, MP1 calls t400, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2200</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t1800

Flop: (t5575) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks

Turn: (t5575) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t2400</font>, MP1 calls t2400

River: (t10375) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets t1205 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1205
Old 05-23-2006, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Stars $22 180-man - JJ in BB postflop.

This is really, really ugly.

Preflop looks fine. Any more and you are close to committing yourself. After this flop, I check it down. I'm getting to showdown as mf'ing cheap as possible. Pushing the turn is horrible as it allows villain to play 100% perfect as I doubt he's folding any Q he called preflop with there.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:11 AM

checking down makes alot of sense to me as well. I guess I was relying on my read of this clown that he would never check the flop with a K or Q because he had never failed to place a bet. I figured he was Ax or some PP 55+.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:22 AM

You could have had him on the flop, but you didn't bet to find out more information. The bet when the third club hit was pretty risky, since you don't have a club in your hand.

Since you didn't bet the flop, you shouldn't bet this turn or river.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:08 AM

Terrible... I read it twice, just to be sure. You risked over a quarter of your stack PF, and the caller risked half. You should put him AI after the flop, if he caught, well, that's poker, but at least you have FE there. You also called a four flush on the board on the river w/ two over cards... Any club, K or Q beats you.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Why no flop bet? You gave him a free turn to find an ace or club for a backdoor draw, then waited for the turn where he's going to flat call with a single club, a Q, a low pp, and maybe a weak K. River even getting that kind of price Im not sure he's got a low non club pp enough to call, but obviously with those odds its not a big mistake, I think the mistake occured checking the flop after you raised pf. As the flop was played check down.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:03 PM

Everything is horrible.

Bet the flop - find out where you are!!

If you check the flop, check the turn, and as previous posters state, get to the river as cheaply as possible!

Calling the river is terrible - what hands do you expect him to have here?

Jon
Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything is horrible.

If you check the flop, check the turn, and as previous posters state, get to the river as cheaply as possible!

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

10 to 1, going with his read he's probably got a mid pp close enough to 10% where its not a huge mistake in and of itself and is probably a push straight EV wise, though Im thinking its -cEV.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Stars $22 180 - JJ in BB postflop.

Just push the flop. There is 5500 in the pot and villain has 3600 left. If he is ahead, you still have about a 10% win chance.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything is horrible.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

I called the river simply because it was 10-1 odds as Betgo said. I realize im behind nearly everytime, but folding cannot possibly be correct at this point.

Betgo: do you prefer pushing the flop to checking down?

Thanks for the input everone, im trying turn myself into something more than just a STT player, and need alot of work in these spots apparently.

FWIW, my read on him was correct that he didnt hold a Q or K based on his flop check. Either way, I think I should have pushed flop against this guy.

Not to be results oriented, but does anyone out there possibly put villain on A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in this hand????

J