Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Video Games Live (concert)

Went to this at Yale this weekend. Website is videogameslive.com. My little brother got tickets, and I didn't really feel like going, but ended up sucking it up and heading up to Conn. for the night.

It was pretty awesome.

A full symphony orchestra playing music from nearly every single huge video game series you can think of (Mario, Zelda, WoW, Halo, Final Fantasy, etc.) while footage from the games roll on a giant screen.

Some highlights:

- a game of Space Invaders played by this really fat kid from the audience on the giant screen - the only catch was that the ship's movement was tracked to his own movement via a t-shirt. He had to clear the level in a certain time limit but alas, was too fat and slow to move across the stage quickly enough!

-Zelda music.

-Civilization IV music with a solo from the guy who actually did the in-game music (I just mention this because it was onen of the best pieces).

-The videogame pianist, Martin Leung. This guy was fast as [censored] and ended up playing diff themes (Mario, Tetris, FF) blindfolded. So sick to watch. You can see his stuff on youtube.

-An encore performance of One-Winged Angel from FF7 that brought the house down.

I felt like a huge geek to be at this thing, but it was really friggin' cool. At one point, the host was introducing Kingdom Hearts, and when he mentioned Square and Disney people just started going nuts and screaming KINGDOM HEARTS! I didn't even KNOW that many people knew the game existed (there were prob like 5k ppl there).

Anyhow, if this thing happens to roll through a venue nearby and you like video games, it's worth going to.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Video Games Live (concert)

Brag: I'm listening to Final Fantasy Radio right now, holla