Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Staking arrangement..

Please bear with me this is a little convoluted I know. I already used the search engine and didn't find anything very relevant to my query so I'm going to post this in here. I'm sure some will consider it out of place so I apologize in advance, please don't flame me.

My staking question actually relates to both tournaments and cash games.

Recently I was approached by someone I was playing very low FR stakes with on Stars. It turns out he would like me to "mentor" him. From our conversations he evidently deduced that I know quite a bit about FR games regardless of the fact I play only very low stakes--I like to 12-table, which I can't afford to do at higher stakes.

Prospective client mentioned that he's well staked but plays absolutely dreadful in the cash games at every level, frequently going busto.

For the record my stats at low and micro stakes are quite exceptional (100k hands) but I do question a little how well I would play at higher stakes and how much I am worth as a "mentor" accordingly.

Anyway I thought a good median compensation for the mentoring might involve the protege sponsoring me in higher stakes tourneys I can't afford to buy into myself right now. This way he's not paying me outright for something I may not be the best qualified to do for him (if I do half-decent he may get a good portion of his investment back and end up paying me almost nothing). Conversely while not being paid outright I am still deriving a benefit for all the time I will end up spending with him.

FWIW I'm below break even in tourneys overall but of late have been performing much better. I cash in about 1/3 but until lately have been way too much of a nit to finish high up in the $$. I play up to $15 buyins. My cash game is much much better.

So then my question is this .. keeping in mind that this isn't strictly an EV arrangement between a stake horse and a sponsor, but rather an alternate method of compensation for a mentor who will be spending a substantial amount of time helping the sponsor improve his EV in cash games ..

what would be an appropriate division of the spoils if he stakes me in tourneys? I'm thinking if his ROI% is an absolute worst case scenario (-60% in say a 50/50 split of winnings over 20 buyins) then the buyins should = maybe 120% the hourly for a bonafide professional coach (60-100$). If my math is right that would leave me with just under half of what an established pro would cost him (in winnings, worst case scenario).

Any opinions on this?

Any thoughts on what typical staking arrangements entail?

Thanks much.