Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Default How do you handle these situations?

Part 1) My friend and I are playing 1/2nl last night at the Borgata. He is sitting to my right, and I am bored and drunk so I am doing a lot of blind raising UTG, blind 3betting him when he opens, and in general 3-betting him a bunch because he's really laggy and gives me too much respect.

We're in a hand where he bets the flop and I raise him on the button. The woman to his right starts talking about how we're friends, and neither of us have anything and we're just trying to fold people out so we can win the pot. I let this one slide. She makes the same comments a few hands later when he opens UTG and I 3bet him, saying that we're "just trying to chop up the pot" (which has $3 in it). What's the best way to handle this?

Part 2) I forget to tip the dealer after I win a pot where I blind 3-bet AA and flop a set. I'm super tired and zoned out and I've been forgetting to tip when I win pots all night, but I usually remember a few hands later and tip then. Anyways I remember to tip this dealer (Erin, blonde, kinda tall) a few hands later and give her $2 because I felt bad for forgetting. Erin is friends with the woman from part 1, and both of them start in on how I should be tipping at least a redbird for that hand. WTF? I didn't bother saying anything, but Erin is the second dealer who has made my no tip list (which really, really takes a lot since I enjoy tipping and overtipping dealers, especially when I'm winning). Standard?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: How do you handle these situations?

[ QUOTE ]
Erin is friends with the woman from part 1, and both of them start in on how I should be tipping at least a redbird for that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is unaccpetable. Its one thing whena player says something. I would just ignore that, but if the dealer actually said something like that to me (and I was ceratin that was what was said) I would immediately report that to the floor. There is nothing I can imagine a dealer doing that is more offensive then that.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM

1) I can accept your explanation, but you have to realize that it does look a little fishy to others sitting at the table. Would it be possible for you to change to a different seat so you can still play with your friend, but not make it look so much like collusion? I realize you may be giving up position, but it might be worth it to keep things light.

OTOH, if you want to stay where you are and keep isolating your friend, you're entitled to.

2) I think I'm a better than average tipper, but that would be grounds for me to cut them off, too.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:00 PM

1) Read the past 25 "Is this collusion?" threads to see how it looks to others.

2) I would make explain to the dealer that since she does not think the tip is big enough, I will just have to stop "insulting" her with such small tips, and will tip her nothing from now on. If they pool tips, I will repeat the speech for each dealer, explaining that this was because of 'Erin'. When I cash out, I will tell the shift manager about it too.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 PM

1: "C U Next Time, honey."

2: "C U Next Time, dealer-I'll-never-tip-again."

How can you sit back and take that [censored]?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that it could look like collusion to others, my question is how do you handle a situation where you are being accused of colluding when you ae not. It's not like he was the only person I was ever 3-betting or squeezing, and fwiw I don't think moving seats would really help, because if I switched to the other side of the table I would just wind up squeezing him often, and that would probably look even more like collusion. And I'd really prefer to not change seats, since it makes it easier to talk to him, and because he is very laggy and raises very frequently.

I guess my question is: do you handle it calmly, do you get angry, do you say nothing, start showing down hands when I don't have to to prove that we're not colluding, etc. I'm really laid back and would prefer to let most stuff slide at the table, but getting called a cheater is where I draw the line, especially if the table is good and having fun and no one else seems to care.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1: "C U Next Time, honey."

2: "C U Next Time, dealer-I'll-never-tip-again."

How can you sit back and take that [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I know I'll never be tipping her again, and the satisfaction I get from that is more than enough to put up with dealers giving me crap.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that it could look like collusion to others, my question is how do you handle a situation where you are being accused of colluding when you ae not. It's not like he was the only person I was ever 3-betting or squeezing, and fwiw I don't think moving seats would really help, because if I switched to the other side of the table I would just wind up squeezing him often, and that would probably look even more like collusion. And I'd really prefer to not change seats, since it makes it easier to talk to him, and because he is very laggy and raises very frequently.

I guess my question is: do you handle it calmly, do you get angry, do you say nothing, start showing down hands when I don't have to to prove that we're not colluding, etc. I'm really laid back and would prefer to let most stuff slide at the table, but getting called a cheater is where I draw the line, especially if the table is good and having fun and no one else seems to care.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I ignore her. I also show her every piece of trash I make her fold with. Tell her if she called once in a while she might not lose so much, if you feel like it.

2) I may be in the minority here - actually, I expect I will be. But if ANY dealer says that I should be tipping more, I'm inclined to call the floor over right then and there. I'm at the VERY least having a conversation with the floor away from the table, and would probably go ahead and embarrass this dealer in front of everyone by having the conversation right there. There is no excuse for that, if you're positive that that is what she said.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that it could look like collusion to others, my question is how do you handle a situation where you are being accused of colluding when you are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Politely and nicely tell her that this is how you play all the time regardless of your friend. Ask her if she would like to switch seats with him if that will help. If she continues to complain let her know that she is welcome to call the floor if she has any concerns, thats why he is there and can "punish you" if he thinks your colluding - this part is hard to say without acting rude so be cautious.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you handle a situation where you are being accused of colluding when you ae not.

[/ QUOTE ]You're probably the only person who could really answer that question, since you were there and would know the tone. Personally, I'd try to keep it light and say something like, "If you sit in his seat I'll raise you with junk, too!" Then pray for aces.

If it hasn't gotten to the point of outright accusation, showing a few good hands when you didn't have to might help a little, but that tends to draw attention to the times you refuse to show.