Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Turned straight with 3rd flush card

Reads:
I just sat down 2 orbits ago.
MP: I think this is the first or second hand he plays, so he's reasonably tight.
SB: He played a few pots. He took one big pot with quads against someones TPWK. He know how to play.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($3.90)
MP ($55.10)
Hero ($25.70)
SB ($48.10)
BB ($28.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $1, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

<font color="blue"> I called because he was fullstacked, and i had the button. </font>

Flop: ($3.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> I was ready to fold to his cbet, fortunately he checked. </font>

Turn: ($3.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.

<font color="blue"> Ok I turned my straight, but it puts a 3rd [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the board. I decided to raise, but fold to a 3bet. I thought he might be stealing or he might picked up a FD. </font>

River: ($9.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...?

<font color="blue"> Now here is my decision. Do I value bet or do I check behind?
Tx = straight
Maybe he got a flush and slowplayed it.
But he might call with something like a set/twopair ? </font>
Old 09-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Turned straight with 3rd flush card

You say he's pretty good, so check. I don't see a decent player call here with two pair or even a set.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:29 PM

anyone else?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say he's pretty good, so check. I don't see a decent player call here with two pair or even a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

But a good player at uNL will always bet his made hand here or block bet some hands we bet.

Now bet
Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM

Easy value bet imo, I am so sure I have the best hand here, which is good enough reason to bet. 1/2 pot
Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM

In order to get value from a bet on the river you have to either fold out a better hand or get a call from a worse hand.

You say that villain is a good player. He's checking to the turn raiser. That means one of two things:

- He's given up on the hand. Maybe he has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], maybe he has 66, maybe he's got 76, but right now he's got nuttin' and he knows it.
- He's hit his hand and is trying to break off another bet from you. Maybe he's got A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], maybe he's got JT. In this case, you're dogmeat, and he's going to roast your heart and eat it.

People in this thread are correct in saying that your hand is best much more often than not. However, that is not enough reason to bet the river. What we want to know is, how often am I best after villain calls or check-raises my river bet? Here I think the answer is "not too often." When villain folds, it's going to be with hands that you beat. When villain calls, it's mostly going to be with hands that beat you (perhaps the occasional 77 or some such thing). When villain check-raises, it's mostly going to be with hands that crush you and the occasional bluff that you probably can't call. In short, while you have a straight, it's the idiot end of a one-card straight. Villain can read the board. Villain is capable of deception and aggression. Villain is capable of folding a weaker hand. Villain is capable of slowplaying a better hand. Take your free showdown, rake the pot most of the time, and know that betting was probably -EV most of the time here.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:01 PM

I gotta start reading posts more carefull, I did not see the 1 card straight out there.