Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Default P\'s February Tournament report

- We had our 2nd tournament of the year last night. Here’s a brief description:

- 10 Players showed and played.

- You got T600 in chips for $17 with a rebuy of T600 for $10 if you busted before level 5.

- 20 minute blind levels.

This was our second tournament of our fledgling Poker League. Ten players showed and five of them had played in the first tournament I held back in January. We had three new comers which was great!

My wife made loaded potato skins for all the guys to munch on, they were fantastic and all the guys were much appreciative for the food. Also chips and pretzels were served and everyone brought their own drinks.

I decided to have one rebuy option for $10 before level 5 blinds (50sb/100bb) which would let you get back to your starting chip count (T600) however, I did not know what to expect and I would have to say, I personally did not like it. It made the pot size grow obviously but the length of the tournament due to the re-buys was about 1.5 hours longer than usual. Out of the 10 players, 8 of us bought the rebuy and I am included in the 8. I managed to bubble out of the money even with the rebuy. The winner of the tournament was a new comer that did not re-buy.

Tournament play was surprisingly the same as the first tournament in January. Just a bunch of guys playing cards having a good time and six to seven players seeing a flop even with 3xBB of a raise. We had some serious suck-outs and a couple of pretty bad beats. I was involved with two of the bad beats, one I was the beater and the other I was beat – very bad due to my poor play of the hand.

Both hands happened back to back. This is a brief recollection of both:

I’m on the button with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. All fold around to cut-off who raises 2xbb, I re-raise another 2xbb to try and isolate and the blinds fold away. Cut-off calls.

Flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Cut-off bets I re-raise half my stack, cut-off thinks for a while and finally calls. This has me worried.

Turn is X rag, he insta-checks and I follow with an insta-check.

River is a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he checks again so I only bet 2xbb into a big pot. He thinks for a few minutes and just calls.
I flip my two pair and he flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It’s not really a bad beat for him even though he was the chip leader at the time, but it did set me up for the very next hand against a very inexperienced new comer.

Very next hand - Now I’m at the cutt-off position and I’m dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folded around to MP player who is a new comer and has only played poker maybe three times. She calls the bb and its folded to me, I bump it up 4xbb. Blinds fold and she just calls.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3x.

She thinks for a few seconds then just checks. I bet out another 4xbb and she moans something and just calls.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

She insta-checks (darn I hate that) and I make her count out her chips and proceed to make a bet that would pretty much get her all in however she doesn’t push her remaining T150. She just called me.

River is a J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and she checks to me again so I bet T150 and she looks at me and says “If you got the straight you win…”, I flip my cards showing her the two-pair and she flips showing pocket 7’s for the SET. OUCH!! – She played that well and I’m down below my original chip stack. A few hands later I’m out on the bubble.

Overall it went well. I did not play very well and/or was not getting very good cards all night. I did get pocket AA once and raised preflop, but everyone folded. We had quads twice but it seemed all of the big hands never get alot of action. A few of the guys did not like the re-buy, including myself. Everyone did liked the loaded potato skins my wife made. Also, I was suppose to rake the extra $2 for the end of the year TOC but I forgot so that means I’m going to have to have two Tournaments in one night/day next month.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: P\'s February Tournament report

Have you thought about having more than one home game each month? At my game we usually have one each Friday night and we now have around 45-50 people each week.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you thought about having more than one home game each month? At my game we usually have one each Friday night and we now have around 45-50 people each week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I wish I had that much room for 50 people. I only have room for 18 max due to size of my house, chairs and table space, and not to mention, I have enough trouble getting atleast 8 guys to show for one game. Anything above 8 people is a big game for us. After the tournament ended, we did play again but it didn't count towards the end of the year TOC.

I'm pretty sure now I will be getting more and more people to show for future games. Everyone is starting to tell there friends, and so on, and so on. If and when I get my max of 18 people, my two garage may become my new poker room. Also, I'm limited to about one or two weekends a month to have the game. My wife works from home and she has to wake up early on Sunday AM to start her shift.

P
Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 PM

Good report, but MAN some of that play...

all of the min raising?

Your play on two pair #1 (on the turn) was pretty horrible, as was your min bet at the end. Your play on two pair #2 on the flop (giving her over 3:1) and the river T150 (what the hell was the point of THAT?) was pretty ugly, but you knew that already.

And her play with the sevens wasn't great, though she did get you to put her in on the turn (in effect)

"and I would have to say, I personally did not like it. It made the pot size grow obviously but the length of the tournament due to the re-buys was about 1.5 hours longer than usual. "

Is this the only reason you didn't like it? What were your starting blinds- T5/10?

"Also, I was suppose to rake the extra $2 for the end of the year TOC but I forgot so that means I’m going to have to have two Tournaments in one night/day next month."

You should have the winners kick in the proper ratio to make it up, but hopefully it won't be a big deal either way.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but you knew that already.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm usually a fairly TAG player. I just couldn't get anything to work (post-flop) and when I started playing passive I really fell apart. One of my friends afterward said he's never seen me play like that. We discussed some of the hands and like you said, my turn and river play was horrible. Eventually it cost me from finishing in the money and after looking back I can remember two or three other instances where that particular hand caused me to fold after the flop. Oh well...on-ward!

[ QUOTE ]
"and I would have to say, I personally did not like it. It made the pot size grow obviously but the length of the tournament due to the re-buys was about 1.5 hours longer than usual. "

Is this the only reason you didn't like it? What were your starting blinds- T5/10?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we started at 5/10. I was thinking if I ever do allow a rebuy again it will be a add-on at the beginning and/or I will shorten the blinds from 20 minutes to 15.

P
Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just couldn't get anything to work (post-flop) and when I started playing passive I really fell apart. One of my friends afterward said he's never seen me play like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that. If poker were easy, I guess it wouldn't be profitable... but when you can't MAKE a profit in forever, it SURRRREE doesn't comfort you.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Cool report, and just for the record, you have the best avatar on 2p2.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool report, and just for the record, you have the best avatar on 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Si Gratze! Took me a while to find the little guy, if I only had him as my card protector...

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]