Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 AM

Default NL$100| 3bet pot, turn TPTK

Villain in this hand is playing 23/17/0.9. He's been relatively solid and hasn't been out of line. My game is 20/16/4 and I've not been 3-betting as much as usual this session - in fact, rarely so.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $110.25
BB: $20.90
UTG: $35
CO: $120.05
BTN: $12.25

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $3.50</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.50</font>, BB folds, CO calls $9

Flop: ($26) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $16</font>, CO calls $16

Turn: ($58) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $35</font>

Who bets this turn out and if you do how much and are you committed?

Those that check to see villains action: How do you treat his bet? Call and fold to further bets? Call and call any river bet? Fold? Raise?

I checked the turn because I view villains range as being fairly narrow here. I don't think he calls any further bets with anything I beat and if I'm ahead I expect to be considerably so - hence I'm happy to hand control of the hand to him.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Re: NL$100| 3bet pot, turn TPTK

Anyone? I've noticed (and maybe its just me) that posts about 3-bet pots seem to get less responses. That's odd since playing +EV poker in these pots is paramount.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 AM

i guess as played call/call. I can never find a fold in these spots. Even solid villains will sometimes turn 1010 or JJ or whatever they called on the flop with into a bluff. I think KK and AA raise the flop almost always so the only two hands you are worried about are QK or QQ.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can never find a fold in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is half my problem - I've been getting murdered in these situations (TPTK in 3-bet pots) of late and my instincts are trying to find a fold.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone? I've noticed (and maybe its just me) that posts about 3-bet pots seem to get less responses. That's odd since playing +EV poker in these pots is paramount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's so read and flow dependent.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 AM

as played, call call. i think youll see middle pp's a lot in this spot. he floated u on the flop; look how dry that flop is(great spot to float, or raise if i was villain)
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM

You say that you haven't been 3 betting as much this session, and after 3 betting out of the blinds your hand gains a little more respect imo. You guys are a little bit deep and when you 3 bet villain he has to call 9 to win 114.75, laying you odds of 12.75 to 1. Given the circumstances, he may be playing fit or fold, trying to hit a set with any pp. If your 3 betting range is tight the Q high flop is certainly not as scary as a K high one, meaning your AK's missed. When he calls in position I think his range goes from (22+, AK) to 44,66,TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA. When the K falls on the turn, you check. It is unlikely that the K helped your opponent (unless he had KK, but you're already gonesky there), so it's not a scare card for you. In fact you just caught up against TT, JJ. I think he fires the turn big knowing you have a hand. If he knows you have a hand, and is unafraid, you're beat. He's agression is not that high, i think this is a fold.

This is my first real attempt to analyse a hand other than my own on 2+2 i hoped it's either really good or really bad logic, thoughts, criticisms welcome.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Frankly, I like checking to him on the turn as a way to induce a bluff. Opponents with these stats will bet when checked to in this situation like 90% of the time. His hand looks a whole lot like 88-JJ, and I'd expect him to play exactly as he has with those cards. I suppose it's possible that he could have floated with AK also. I'll also concede that he could have slowplayed QQ, but I think there's no way he has AA, and only a slight chance he has KK.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:20 AM

I can't think of a scenario in which I'm not getting the money in here. If I check the turn (and I would from time to time), it's to induce a bet, not because I'm scared. The pot is massive and you have TPTK, stick it in and see which way the money gets shipped.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Chip, all those sort of thoughts went through my head. The king helps my range, he should know that, etc, etc. But my underlying fear was that I've seen sooooooooooo many people at this level turn PP's into a bluff in these spots. If I call the pot is massive and he'll defo not fire again with a weaker hand unless he improves so I decided the re-raise all in.

Villain turned over 6d5d and the river was an Ad.

Obviously I was a little upset at the suck out but what is more disturbing is that I'm over-crediting even seemingly good villains in these spots. I'd not have put him on SCs in a million years as I know he should know we aren't deep enough to play them profitably unless he's willing to factor in a reasonable degree of bluffing/semi-bluffing which seems unlikely since the flop suits a semi-bluff move from him.

I think what's telling is that I tanked down my timer hovering over fold at the turn and yet villains range was miles wider than I thought. All the more I'm starting to think that at levels up to and including NL$200 TPTK deep in 3-bet pot like this just can't be folded and if you are shown AA or a set its cooler time. IMHO.