Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Strange floor decision at Caesars AC

2 NL games going...
6 People waiting...
3 Open seats...
Floor tells those waiting that they can not play in those open seats because he wants to open a new game when the dealer gets there in 10-15 miutes!

Do floor decisions get any worse?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Strange floor decision at Caesars AC

Sure...they can be made at the table when there's money actually on the line. This was your sign to run, run fast through the forest of slots to get away.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Really silly decision.

Generally though I like Caesars and have found the staff very accomodating and friendly. They always seem willing to try to get a particular game going if you request it.

But yeah, kind of dumb.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Dumb decision, but look at it this way:

Now there are three people waiting around to get in a game. If no seats open up then in 10 minutes they have a dealer sitting idle, probably 3 people unwilling to play three-handed, and have to wait for a list to build up to open a new game.

I agree that forcing the waiting list to wait is piss-poor customer service. What I would do is, in ten minutes, allow the floor to offer a small comp ($3? Maybe have an auction) to take one or two players from each of the existing games to get a new one going. That might piss off some of the players in the full games too, but an 8-handed game can easily fill up quickly.

If anyone complains loudly, give them a small comp too. The revenue from a new game should offset the cost of the small comps.

Actually it's interesting to me that poker culture so readily accepts balancing tables in tournaments, but never in cash games.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Who are you? And what have you done with AKQJ10?

Your idea of balancing the tables will get you from "two strong games, with a list", to "three broken games", and quickly.

And I would expect AKQJ10 to know that, so who is this?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb decision, but look at it this way:

Now there are three people waiting around to get in a game. If no seats open up then in 10 minutes they have a dealer sitting idle, probably 3 people unwilling to play three-handed, and have to wait for a list to build up to open a new game.

I agree that forcing the waiting list to wait is piss-poor customer service. What I would do is, in ten minutes, allow the floor to offer a small comp ($3? Maybe have an auction) to take one or two players from each of the existing games to get a new one going. That might piss off some of the players in the full games too, but an 8-handed game can easily fill up quickly.

If anyone complains loudly, give them a small comp too. The revenue from a new game should offset the cost of the small comps.

Actually it's interesting to me that poker culture so readily accepts balancing tables in tournaments, but never in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only the waiting and the bad service, but I was then forced to sit in a new game with small stacks as opposed to the deep games [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A reverse must-move policy?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Flattery will get you everywhere, and I admit that your critique is a good one.

My inference was that this was happening at a point where overall demand was picking up so that the short games would fill quickly. If you tried this at 2 am, I'm sure it would end up just as you say. At 11 am or 7 pm it seems like short games breaking isn't the problem, but perhaps it still is more than I'm aware.

I'm sure floorperson is one of those jobs that looks a lot easier to those of us who don't actually do it. You can see that my first day on the job I'd have the poker room ready to close down. (Good thing I like learning from mistakes, since I produce a never-ending supply.)