Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 AM

Default NL25 KJ on button, how is my line here? villain thinks im an idiot

I have no reads on the villain, but he limped in LP so i decided to raise him from the button. His flop bet seemed pretty weak so i decided i would take control of the hand, maybe get him off a ten or at least get myself a free river.

Immediately afterwards I got abuse from him for 1) raising here with KJ, and 2) raising him on the flop with an OESD.

What does every1 think? Should I have made another bet on the turn?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $24.50
BB: $9.20
UTG: $19.90
UTG+1: $25.80
MP1: $27.95
MP2: $8.00
MP3: $25.00
CO: $31.65
swainy83 (BTN): $24.35

Preflop: swainy83 is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
4 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, CO folds, <font color="red">swainy83 raises to $1.00</font>, SB calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75, MP3 calls $0.75

Flop: ($4) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">MP3 bets $1.00</font>, <font color="red">swainy83 raises to $4.00</font>, 2 folds, MP3 calls $3.00

Turn: ($12) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP3 checks, swainy83 checks

River: ($12) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP3 checks, swainy83 checks

Pot Size: $12.00 ($0.55 Rake)
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: NL25 KJ on button, how is my line here? villain thinks im an idio

I don't mind your flop play if you raise a little more like 5,50. Good freecard take on the turn, river is also good, I would probably call a small bet he could have had a busted flushdraw.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: NL25 KJ on button, how is my line here? villain thinks im an idiot

I pull the trigger again on the turn 95% of the time
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pull the trigger again on the turn 95% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if he has just a queen (which is what I think he has) he folds the best hand most of the time. Of course if he is a station maybe he won't so if you knew he was then I wouldn't bother probably.

Now what if the river was a blank and he checks to us. Would we actually bet the river too assuming he busted a flush draw, or is it too risky because he might be calling down with just a queen?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Yeah, read dependent of course. Make a note afterward.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 AM

he seemed to fancy himself as a bit of a player, accused people of making bad calls a couple of times before this hand, so i guess he may have respected a 2nd bullet and folded.

I didn't put him on a Q actually. The bet was so small on the flop it looked to me like a blocking bet with a draw. I definitely should have raised more, but then i would need a big bet on the turn to finish the hand.

If he had bet the river I may have called with my J as I wasn't putting him on a Q.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he seemed to fancy himself as a bit of a player, accused people of making bad calls a couple of times before this hand, so i guess he may have respected a 2nd bullet and folded.

I didn't put him on a Q actually. The bet was so small on the flop it looked to me like a blocking bet with a draw. I definitely should have raised more, but then i would need a big bet on the turn to finish the hand.

If he had bet the river I may have called with my J as I wasn't putting him on a Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point about the bet sizing on the flop. Of course there are some people who just bet weakly with made hands, draws, or nothing, but unless you've witnessed him betting like this before I guess you have to assign a higher probablity to a draw...

Especially since he's complained about bad calls before, he presumably understands the concept of protecting a made hand.