Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 06:32 PM

Default JJ Flopped Set

CO is aggro-crazy, capping with any suited cards. BB seems like a decent player, but relatively new.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB
Old 10-21-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: JJ Flopped Set

BB would have to have exactly Q9 or 97 for us to be in serious trouble on the turn, and even then we have a strong redraw. Fortunately, he could also hold undersets, some two-pair hands, and things like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Some villains will even spaz out here with AJ.

Given the maniacal CO in the hand padding the pot, I might repop the turn. If the BB 3-bets, I'm calling down.

The line you took is pretty good, though.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 PM

Start by raising turn
Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 PM

I wouldn't be too scared of a made-straight here. It's possible that the BB called w/ Q9, but I would not make that assumption. It's a money loser. Instead I would raise the turn assuming top set is the best hand out. Even if you are beaten, you have a ton of outs, especially given the pot odds. With a huge pot, many people will bet bet bet, hoping to win the pot with aggression. If another straight- or flush-card had come, then I would start to believe that I was beaten, but I would NOT fold with that much money in the pot. I think it is more likely that someone has top pr or 2 pr, someone else has a straight draw with top pr or overcards, and someone else a flush draw.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 PM

I don't think you played it bad, but I would have raised the turn.

I don't see any way to get away from this hand, and I don't see much reason either. It's possibble that BB has the straight, but there are a few other hands like a lower set or two pair, combo draws that he would likely play the same way. While your top set is pretty strong it's not the nuts, and it may be possible to play this hand correctly and still lose.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM

I would have capped at least the turn.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 PM

Cap the turn. Like Doc said, villain would have to have exactly Q9 or 97 for us to be behind at present. If another diamond falls or a straight is completed on the river, we still have a lot outs for a boat.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:03 PM

this was played fine. On the turn, you have obvious outs to boatage. River, pot is humungous... slim slim possibility that he just missed his flush or straight? Maybe he has 2 pair, lower set. CO sounds like an idiot. I'm talking about BB here.

Edit: I'd always listen to what Shillx says.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:04 AM

Raise the turn. BB could have all sorts of reasons to cap this flop given that CO is a nutjob + we raised pf. We can start to get worried if we CO 3-bets and BB caps, but even then we're drawing to top boat so it's not that big a deal.

As played not much point capping the turn. We obviously can't fold our huge draw, so calling 2 more is fine.

River is a crying call. The 6 probably didn't help him. Hopefully he's overplaying 2-pair or 888 -- our turn call the first time around looks like an overpair or draw, so it's not impossible. Easily worth a call in a pot this big.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:34 AM

At minimum, 2 bet the turn to allow your opponents to make a BIG mistake here.