Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Legality of reselling coupons, gift certificates, etc

Subject - reselling coupons, gift cards, travel vouchers, gift certificates, etc through eBay or other channels.

Most, if not all, of these items seem to place the burden on the potential buyer or "redeemer" of the coupon/certificate. What are the potential legal issues with buying and re-selling?

I am not talking about trying to sell coupons out of your Sunday paper on eBay for $.99. I'm concerned with large transactions. Example - if one had the ability to buy Amazon gift certificats at $.50 for each $1.00 or a simlar percentage with American Airline miles, Chili's gift cards, etc, while buying $10,000 - $20,000 at a time. It would be easy to resell these and make a nice profit.

My issue is related to the legality around this. There would be some type of signed agreement, since usually these are used for promotional purposes, sales incentives, etc. If those weren't abided by would a likely scenario be just being cut-off from future purposes?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Legality of reselling coupons, gift certificates, etc

Ebay it all.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 PM

I'll buy a few K direct off you for the right price [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll buy a few K direct off you for the right price [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was just using a hypothetical example, but I am currently involved in this, just not with the above mentioned companies.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:00 PM

depokerstar it really depends on the company, and who they use to process these GCs. Without knowing exactly what company you are working with I can't give you any real info.

But eBay is a very good place to move these gift cards. I may have a little experience.

-Brendan