Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Buying a floor model HDTV

I've been in the market for a Sony 60" DLP HDTV for the last week or so. I was going to buy it on Amazon, but today at Best Buy they had their last one on clearance, after taxes and even with delivery it was $120 cheaper than Amazon.

Only problem is that the thing has been on the floor for 2 or 3 months. I don't know anything about the durability or life of these things, so I don't know if this is a good deal or a terrible one. Thinking about it, this things been in there for 10 weeks, that's 70 days, so it's been turned on for I guess 900 hrs or so. I don't know if these things take any kind of abuse, it looked fine.

Good deal or bad deal? I'd almost rather buy from Best Buy because if something screws up they're easier to deal with in person than Amazon.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Buying a floor model HDTV

$120?

I've heard of people buying floor model HDTVs, but they got a hell of a lot more off than that.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:35 PM

Google around for the life of the lamp it uses. Some brand just upgraded to 100,000 hour lamps so that is probably the high end. But really, if $120 off of several grand means a lot get it.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 PM

After taxes and delivery it is $1880?

So, the price of the TV is marked at best buy at what $1700? Tell them if they give you the TV for $1500-$1550 you will buy the 4 year extended warranty also.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM

It doesn't mean a lot to me, but all else being equal I'd prefer to buy from Best Buy. They took 15% off of $2079, the Amazon price is $2k even, but here we have 5% sales tax + $50 to deliver.... so after all that was added in it was $120 cheaper.

I'll look into the lamp life, thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 PM

These discounts for floor models are always negotiable and you should be able to get it to 25% off. Just tell them, if you go to 25% off, I'll hand over my CC right now.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:25 AM

I bought my 50" Pioneer plasma as a Best Buy floor model.

I looked up the service menu codes so I could find out how many hours the set had been on in the store. It hadn't really been used too much, and I got $500 off the retail so I took it. Approximately the same price I could have ordered it off the internet, but I didn't have to worry about shipping or sending it back if there was a problem.

Also I got to examine the set fully to look for dead pixels or any other problems, kind of plus compared to a boxed up set imo.

I'd do it again. Try and bargain for a better price though.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:38 AM

$120 cheaper total, a new set vs floor model? If so I'd definitely take the $120 new set.

If you do get your set from Amazon, open it while the guy is there and make sure it works, I got a DLP shipped from them and the mirror broke in shipping, and since I didn't get the chance to check it, it took a long ass time for them to take it back and send a new one.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 AM

Your also supposed to get a gift card depeding on how much tghe floor model you buy costs
Old 08-11-2007, 04:14 AM

First, Sony doesn't make DLP TVs so if you are wanting a DLP this isn't one. I also doubt it has been on the floor for only 2-3 months. I work at Sears in Electronics and we probably average about 6-7 months on the floor for our TVs.

Best Buy will often budge a bit on the price. Especially if you tell them you will get the 4 year service plan if they give you a few hundred more off.

Finally, this is an awesome TV as long as you have a decent sized room. I would personally rather have this TV than a DLP.