Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Default It won\'t be illegal to play poker online?

It won't be illegal to play poker online, but it will be illegal for banks to allow transfer of money to a poker site?

So basically, if we can find a way around using a bank for transfers to and from the poker site, we the poker players are in no way doing anything illegal?

If that is indeed the case, this seems like it would be ineffective. It shouldn't be that hard to get around.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: It won\'t be illegal to play poker online?

so many threads to choose from, I guess this is as good as any. I couldn't find a link to the actual bill so I searched and here is the link:

http://www.theorator.com/bills109/hr4411.html

Also, I pulled some specific text from the bill.

I'm not a lawyer and haven't done my homework on this but is there any chance that poker doesn't get lumped in or does the "a game subject to chance" line in the definitions doom it to be included.

either way, just thought I'd make it easy for folks to find the bill.

~FishNChips
[ QUOTE ]

In this subchapter, the following definitions shall apply:

`(1) BET OR WAGER- The term `bet or wager'--

`(A) means the staking or risking by any person of something of value upon the outcome of a contest of others, a sporting event, or a game subject to chance, upon an agreement or understanding that the person or another person will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome;

`(B) includes the purchase of a chance or opportunity to win a lottery or other prize (which opportunity to win is predominantly subject to chance);

`(C) includes any scheme of a type described in section 3702 of title 28;

`(D) includes any instructions or information pertaining to the establishment or movement of funds by the bettor or customer in, to, or from an account with the business of betting or wagering; and

`(E) does not include--

`(i) any activity governed by the securities laws (as that term is defined in section 3(a)(47) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 for the purchase or sale of securities (as that term is defined in section 3(a)(10) of that Act);

`(ii) any transaction conducted on or subject to the rules of a registered entity or exempt board of trade under the Commodity Exchange Act;

`(iii) any over-the-counter derivative instrument;

`(iv) any other transaction that--

`(I) is excluded or exempt from regulation under the Commodity Exchange Act; or

`(II) is exempt from State gaming or bucket shop laws under section 12(e) of the Commodity Exchange Act or section 28(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934;

`(v) any contract of indemnity or guarantee;

`(vi) any contract for insurance;

`(vii) any deposit or other transaction with an insured depository institution; or

`(viii) any participation in a simulation sports game, an educational game, or a contest, that--

`(I) is not dependent solely on the outcome of any single sporting event or nonparticipant's singular individual performance in any single sporting event;

`(II) has an outcome that reflects the relative knowledge of the participants, or their skill at physical reaction or physical manipulation (but not chance), and, in the case of a simulation sports game, has an outcome that is determined predominantly by accumulated statistical results of sporting events; and

`(III) offers a prize or award to a participant that is established in advance of the game or contest and is not determined by the number of participants or the amount of any fees paid by those participants.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-12-2006, 05:36 PM

I work at a poker sponsorship business, and we were reading up on this and discussing it yesterday. The bill seeks to allow officials to work with ISPs to block gamers' access to gambling sites, too. Measures such as these have come up in the past, and they've been shot down. But Congress is Republican-controlled, leading some to worry about this one getting shot down.

However, common sense would say that it's silly to squash a $12 billion a year business, so many want it regulated and taxed.

Alex Stiner
PokerPayDay.com
Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, common sense would say that it's silly to squash a $12 billion a year business, so many want it regulated and taxed.

Alex Stiner
PokerPayDay.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever heard of prostitution or marajuana? Forget 'common sense'...it doesn't exist in politics.

---Leavenfish
Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 PM

Same with this argument. Online lotteries and horse racing would be exempt from crackdown, but not poker, which is more skill-based (than lotteries, anyway). Ridiculous.

Alex Stiner
PokerPayDay.com
Old 07-12-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same with this argument. Online lotteries and horse racing would be exempt from crackdown, but not poker, which is more skill-based (than lotteries, anyway). Ridiculous.

Alex Stiner
PokerPayDay.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!
You can lead stupidity to reason, but you can't make it think...or words to that effect...

---Leavenfish