Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Help with my NHL playoff draft

Picking players, 11 forwards, 3 D, 1 G

Player Points: PPG=1, G=1, A= 1, GWG=1, OTG=1, SHG=1, HT=0, DG=0 (e.g. Lidstrom scores a ppg = 2)

Goalie Points: W=1, OTW=1, SO=3 (e.g. Brodeur wins 1-0 in OT = 5)

Now if we look at last year's playoff points, the 1st page was dominated by Edm and Car. So my thinking to win is to pick which 2 teams will meet in the finals and load up on them. Thoughts?

Based on that, my potential team with my thoughts. Please let me know who you would add or take away. I think Buf and Ana will meeet in the finals.

G
Broduer

It was a toss up between him and Miller for me but Shutouts are worth 3 pts and I think Marty will get more SOs to balance Miller's more wins by getting deeper. Thoughts?

D

Lidstrom
Pronger
Neidermeyer

I think these are solid choices.

Forwards

I think Buf will get to the final so I think I should load up on them:

Briere
Vanek
Afinagenov
Drury

And I see Ana getting to the fianl so...

Selanne
McDonald

Datsyuk

Heatley
Spezza

Crosby (I think Ott will win, should I even take Crosby??)

Thornton ( I think SJ will upset NSH)

I left out some better players (Jagr, Forsberg, Hossa, etc) but I am not sure they will even get out of the 1st round.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Help with my NHL playoff draft

Brian Campbell on the sabres for Defence possibly, i thibk they could go quite far.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 PM

Maybe think about Rafalski on D. Flown under the radar a bit, but puts up good numbers. Just in case Pronger gets injured again or the Ducks get upset.

I don't know about Drury... second liner in general behind Briere, I think there could be better choices. Possibly Cheechoo... Thorton to Cheechoo is a popular goal trend for SJ.

I always dislike these playoff pools for the reason that you usually have to stick with the same players throughout the entire playoffs. I know I always try to pick the best players with the best chances of playoff longevity, but for some reason it rarely works. Some joker who stocks up on every single Nashville Predator ends up destroying the pool because they go on an insane tear out of nowhere. Then again... that's why I dislike stocking up on one specific team.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 AM

i think in goal i take luongo. I think vancouver will go deeper than new jersey. In fact i wouldn't be surprised at all if tampa beats NJ. with those rules, i take either miller or luongo.

On D, i got with lidstrom for sure and neidermeyer but not pronger. Thats putting too much in one basket on anaheim. Instead of pronger i'd take Campbell from buffalo. I think he'll get more poitns in the long run

Forwards, i like that a lot. Buffalo is at least going to make it to the second round so that ones nice.

My team would be

G
Luongo

D
Lidstrom
Neidermeyer
Campbell

F
Briere
Vanek
Afinigenov
Drury
Selanne
Heatley
Spezza
Zetterburg
D. Sedin
H. Sedin
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM

yea it's a good move to take the guy who's never been to the playoffs before.

brodeur's an obvious pick - can't pick anaheim goalies, obviously. miller might get a few shutouts in the first round though, so i'd strongly consider him.

no crosby?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

brodeur's an obvious pick - can't pick anaheim goalies, obviously. miller might get a few shutouts in the first round though, so i'd strongly consider him.

no crosby?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can pick Crosby or any pittsburgh player because they won't make it past the first round.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

no crosby?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can pick Crosby or any pittsburgh player because they won't make it past the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there's confidence for you - i'd bet everything i own on the ottawa senators in the playoffs.

if crosby does make it two rounds, it will likely be because of him - it's worth gambling on him.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 AM

I guess, you parlty right but i would rather take a for sure Buffalo forward who is gunna get games in.