Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Icy Pots, bitches!

Really good scrimmage today. Very competitive and intense. I like a lot of what I saw, and I think we're headed in the right direction. But in general, I think we're still running too much of a "free flowing" system. The problem is that so many of these guys are used to being stars that many of them look lost at times when they're asked to be relative role players. I think the only solution is that we must be more tough in cutting some superstar players that just don't fit our system and be more tough regarding restricting what role we allow certain players to play.

Keep in mind that many of these observations are due to just what I saw from this one game, so take them all for what they're worth....

Jason Kidd is a great addition to this team. He is the very definition of a pass first player. He took only one shot in the entire game(a basket with about 30 seconds left to give his team the lead), yet he had as big of an impact on the game as anyone. His ability to put players in good spots to score, especially in the half court set, is vital. While his lack of outside shooting may harm us when we face zones, he more than makes up for that with his passing imo. In fact, I think hes the only PG on our roster that really knows how to dissect a zone defense and find the open man at an all star level. I think he should be the starting PG.

I realize that they're both good defenders, but the offense really slows down with Heinrich or Billups in the game. The defense just doesn't seem to be "on it's heels" when defending them. I don't think the defensive dropoff from them to Kidd or Deron Williams is reason enough to have them on the team. I'd cut both of them.

Speaking of Williams, I love his game. He is poised and under control, and he just creates offense for his team. His handle is very deceptive...if I were guarding him I really wouldn't think that he could cross me over like he does to people, but he gets the job done for sure.

Let me preface this by saying that I've always been a little more down on Chris Paul than most people, and I've always loved Williams. But I'd make Williams the backup PG and have Paul as just a benchwarmer.

I'm fully prepared to be bashed for what I'm about to say, but I'm not sure that Lebron James makes us a better team. In my opinion, he is the epitome of a guy that needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He slows the offense down at times, and the ball movement just isn't as good. A big part of his value is his ability to be a great scorer but then also be able to create for others. However with great point guards to create for others and many players that can create for themselves, his worth is minimized.

Addittionally, Lebron still has horrible shot selection. Its one thing for him to be doing this while playing for the Cavs. But with so many solid options, Lebron James shooting a contested jumper is NEVER our best option unless the shot clock is running down. For some reason he doesn't understand this(or maybe his ego won't let him understand it). I hate to say to cut Lebron because he brings so much to the table as a finisher. Him and JKidd hooked up on quite a few highlight reel plays in the first half of today's game. What we need Lebron to be willing to do is play a Shawn Marion type of role: Do little things like rebound and defend, fill the lane and finish, shoot jumpers only when you're completely wide open. If he can't do this, then I'd seriously consider cutting him.

Its funny that Lebron is thought of as such an unselfish guy, while Kobe has just the opposite reputation....because I think Kobe actually does a great job of shot selection and choosing his spots. Kobe started out today's game looking to pass and set up his teamates. He caught fire shooting a few open 3s, then he started taking over. Once he missed a few difficult shots, he started deferring again.

Kobe is going to really help this team. It is amazing that with so much talent on the floor at one time that one player can stand out as simply on another level compared to everyone else, but Kobe did just that today. I know he gets critisized a ton for his personality, ego, selfishness, and more....but in my opinion, him and Michael Jordan are on a completely different planet than every other player I've ever seen. Needless to say, I'd pencil Kobe in as one of the starting wings.

I'm disapointed to say that both offenses came to a screeching halt once the defenses started playing zone. This was clearly our biggest problem last time, and not much has changed. Its clear that our players havn't had much experience playing against it. Most people will point to a lack of outside shooting ability from our guards, but I actually think it starts with our big men. We have three main problems:

-They can't shoot ouside. Many international teams have big men that can shoot all the way out to the 3. Bosh takes some 3s, but he is hardly a solid shooter. Amare has a decent midrange game I guess. Howard and Chandler offer virtually nothing in this area. This allows zones to stay more compact and in position.

-They don't have much experience playing against zones. Out of the group, only Bosh went to college, and they rarely play zone in the NBA. Compare that to the big men on other teams who have tons of experience facing zone defenses.

-None of them are above average passers. If we had a big like Webber, Divac, Miller, Sabonis, McRoberts, Noah, etc. then we could flash them into the high post and run the offense through them.

I thought I briefly heard the announcers mention Tim Duncan, although I could've just misheard something. Does anyone know if he is considering playing? If he does, then I think we're gold medal favorites. He would solve so many of these problems.

Dwight Howard out hustled Amare Stoudamire throughout the game. Amare was frequently out of position on defense and just didn't seem to be as intense as Howard. Maybe Howard is just bigger and stronger, I dunno. I could easily see some experienced international big men really getting into Amare's head and getting him out of position and/or committing dumb fouls.

Chris Bosh really is talented for a player of his side, but theres no way that he should be shooting 3s with the talent we have on this team.

Chandler is just "meh" all around. Nothing really to say about him.

Overall, I'm worried about our big men. Like I said, having Duncan would change all of that. Greg Oden's progress could also be a huge deal in the future success of our team.

Random crazy thought: International players aren't nearly as big, strong, and athletic as us. Because of that, is there any way that Lebron could guard the PF position? If so, having a player with his passing ability and skillset at the 4 spot would solve a lot of these problems against the zone.

Pencil in Tayshuan Prince and Shane Battier into our last two roster spots right now. These guys are the very definition of great role players. They don't require the ball, they play smart, and they're always ready no matter how infrequently they are used. In fact, I think that perhaps our team should look to cut out a few of the "superstar" players and add more guys like this to fill out the team. Off the top of my head how about David Lee, Gerald Wallace, Caron Butler, or Corey Brewer?

Carmelo Anthony was our best player last time, and he continues to impress. I don't think he gets credited with this enough, but I really think hes a team-first type of guy. He really excels in the international/college setting imo. I think that him and Wade are very similar in this respect. I also think that the closer 3 pt line helps them a lot, as the NBA line is just a bit out of their comfort zone.

One problem that I had with the way our coaches ran the team last time is that they were too nice and seemingly didn't want to offend anyone. Starting different players every game was a perfect example of this. I think that we should run a strict 8 or so man rotation and have a set starting lineup. With that said, this is the one spot that I would play the matchups or the hot hand and switch it up reguarly: Wade or Carmelo should be the other starting wing and the other one should be the 6th man.

Holy [censored] Michael Redd shoots some forced and tough shots at times. I admit that I don't get to see the Bucks play often, so perhaps I'm putting too much value into this one game, but I really don't see what he brings to the table that we can't get from elsewhere. I know I'll get labeled as a homer for this, but if you really want this type of player on the team then I'd go with Arenas instead. As is, I'd play Joe Johnson over him 90% of the time(btw why didn't he play today? still injured?).

I also think Mike Miller seemed to provide what Redd does but in a much more efficient manner, although as I said above this could easily be me overreacting to one game. I dunno though...Redd just seems so inconsistent. And in a tournament where one loss and you're out, you don't really want a guy that will go off for 50 one game and then be airballing tons of shots the next game. Maybe its just Miller's picture perfect stroke compared to Redd's awkward release, but Miller comes across as a much more consistent performer to me especially when not asked to create his own shots.

As I'm writing this, I just realized that we also have Boozer(who didn't play due to injury). I failed to mention him in my assessment of our big man situation. Eh....I don't think he really changes that much though. Maybe I'd play him over Amare as the first big off the bench(with Bosh and Howard starting).

Durant was amazing today. After the summer league, I still have a lot of questions about his consistency at this point in his career. And other than scoring, I don't think hes going to be able to add much at all right now. And we aren't really lacking scoring. Still though, if we're struggling against a zone he could be a nice option to bring in off the bench, so I wouldn't mind having him on the roster. And that isn't even addressing the fact that he could improve a ton before the next Olympics.

JJ Reddick and Bruce Bowen will not and should not be on the team.

Spain still looks really tough. Gasol, Fernandez, Navarro, and Rodriguez are all NBA guys now, and I'm sure they have even more. I really think we need to stop being so nice and friendly with our players. Give players roles and tell them to do them or be benched. Everyone can't be a first option when you have this much talent. Theres no reason we shouldn't win gold if we're just smart about how we go about things. Of course having another skilled big like Duncan(or Garnett) wouldn't hurt either.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Icy Pots, bitches!

good post
Old 07-23-2007, 03:50 AM

Assani,

Don't ever stop.

I mean it.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assani,

Don't ever stop.

I mean it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, more proof assanni just owns this forum
Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Great post.

If Kidd is going to log decent minutes, then I think just having a good shooter or finisher at the PF spot will be fine. I'd start Melo there, and have Battier in for defense & shooting at the SF. So we're looking at a starting lineup of something like:
Dwight, Melo, Battier, Kobe, Kidd

I'm not sure Lebron is capable of playing the Marion type of role at the PF. While he can finish & pass, he doesn't have Marion's defensive intensity nor is he nearly as prolific a rebounder. I'm not sure giving up rebounding for passing is a good trade. I want to see if Lebron can play as Kidd's backup, and bring in shooters like Miller off the bench to complement him.

As of now (most of my knowledge based on your post), I like an 8-man rotation of:
Dwight, Melo, Battier, Kobe, Kidd w/ Lebron, Miller, & Boozer (I didn't realize he was on the team, Amare otherwise). I also see our frontcourt as being our biggest weakness.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Assani,

Nicely done. I now know 130% more about USA basketball than I did when I woke up this morning. Thanks for putting the time into this.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:20 PM

I'm not even terribly interested in basketball in general and enjoyed this post. vn.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM

someone forward this post to USA basketball and get Assani on the coaching staff
Old 07-23-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone forward this post to the Celtics and get Assani on the coaching staff

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Chris Bosh gets excited and jacks up 3's. It's who he is. Learn to love it.