Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Non-standard river crai to max value?

I took a non-standard line here on a read. Biggest pot of my session. Feedback appreciated.

50 pound NL 6 max(so essentially US$100NL)

Reads: Villain is running at like 30/8 over 300 hands. His philosophy is to rarely raise preflop because he (thinks he) can access the situation much better postflop. Berates ppl who bet pot on the flop (only called if you're beat or something). Quotes Sklansky and such but really terrible player IMO. In fact, he is pretty much LP pre (open limper, calls raises a lot) and a bit of a station postflop.

My image should be fairly tight but aggressive. Players think I'm too aggressive with preflop raises and c-bets FWIW especially villain since hes sharing his poker lessons with everyone.

Effective stacks: 120 pounds. (240BBs)

Hero is in BB w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: Folds to villain on the button who open limps, SB folds, I raise to $2.50. Villain calls.
His range is wide here, lots of suited cards, smaller pocket pairs, high cards

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $5, Villain calls

Villain could have a small overpair, 54s or something like that, 2 is unlikely, could have monster like 55 or 22, or another lower flush draw.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $17, Villain calls

The T takes away some smaller pocket pairs he would call the turn with. So I think he also has a flush. Trips is possible I guess, so are boats. He should be smart enough to raise a boat here because he could put me on a flush too.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bets $20, Hero goes all in...

This is super non-standard but here is the reasoning. I fairly sure I'm ahead here (he prob has a 2 or lower flush) but I can't make a big enough bet to get max value from this guy. If I check, I'm confident villain will bet a flush AND call all in with it (hes a bit of a station remember?) Of course hes insta calling with boats too.

So is this line better than an large pot bet? are we folding to a raise if we do this?

If I crai, I'm beating flush and stacking off to a boat. I'd assume flush is slightly more likely - so is this more EV than betting out?

It felt right at the time - but I look forward to your analysis on this one! thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Non-standard river crai to max value?

Bump
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM

i feel like youre putting him on waaaaay too narrow of a range. a loose passive liek this can have sooo many hands by the river. although river c/r is def fine, i prefer to bet out again b/c id be pissed if he checked behind.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 PM

If you bet out, how much are we betting? pot, 2x pot or push?

If not push, are we folding to a push?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Anyone else?!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM

With an agressive image i would bet aswell, unless i have a read he is overconfident with his VB which he probably isnt. His range is wider than you think.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM

And dont fold he could valuepush A2 aswell as lower flushes since those types of hands are the nuts to a neeewb
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM

Given that he's staiony, I much prefer leading river. I would want to know his river agg. factor b4 trying this, if he's capable of bluffing then i like, otherwise just bet.

Edit: bet/call shove