Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 05:12 PM

Default *** OOT Book Club Discussion: \'Confederacy of Dunces\' (ENT) ***

The book that recieved the most votes in the poll:

Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

While this can all be discussed over time, I am tentatively setting the date of discussion for this book for Friday 28th April

I know that may seem long for some of you, but people have to first get the book from their libraries or book stores, and this may take a few days. If it turns out people want more time, the first date of discussion may be pushed back.

Everyone, enjoy, and I hope to have a highly interesting discussion with many of you about this book in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: *** OOT Book Club Discussion: \'Confederacy of Dunces\' ***

Due to lack of response, I'm assuming this book sucks badly and no one actually wants to read it, even if it won the poll. Anyone care to tell about it?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to lack of response, I'm assuming this book sucks badly and no one actually wants to read it, even if it won the poll. Anyone care to tell about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. there were multiple threads discussing how awesome it was a few months ago, weren't there? maybe everyone already read it back then and just voted cause they liked it.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 AM

Maybe you should form a book club that reads cool, original books that aren't on 90% of high school curriculums, then your book club would garner some momentum and you wouldn't be bumping your own posts 90 times a day.

Pick either older somewhat obscure books or new interesting ones. I saw your book club polls, and even someone who has never read a book would recognize every title on the list, which is lame and complete kills any sense of community that the club might otherwise offer. I'm not saying you should pick something no one has ever heard of and can only be bought in one store in Soho, but if you want people to be interested, you should try doing something interesting.

Of course this is only one man's opinion, and is further rendered insignificant by the fact that this one man almost certainly won't partake in your club regardless of the book choice, but at least it's saving you some work by giving your thread another in a long line of useless bumps.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: *** OOT Book Club Discussion: \'Confederacy of Dunces\' (ENT) ***

[Sympathy bump]
I'll probably participate in the discussion. The book is excellent and I happened to have read in the last year or so.
[/Sympathy bump]
Old 04-12-2006, 04:07 PM

diebitter,

i read this recently and would love to discuss it. i didnt know we needed to respond to be part of the discussion, but whenever it is, i would like to chime in. this should be a good thread.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 PM

-- KneeCo

I welcome any other Book club where a specific poster does the picking. Go ahead, do it yourself! But I think the idea of the OOT Book Club was do it by democracy.

JaBlue nearly did - shame he didn't see it through. (he could have been joking, I have no idea).
Old 04-12-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm a big fan of this book. My question would be wheher myrna Minkoff is intended to be seen as equally ridiculous as Ignatius, or as a possibility of redemption for him.

Also, would you do her?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:30 AM

I did intend to read this book, but just can't get motivated to even go buy it. Someone tell me how good/bad/cheesy/original it is, willya?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did intend to read this book, but just can't get motivated to even go buy it. Someone tell me how good/bad/cheesy/original it is, willya?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reading it right now and I think it will be a love/hate deal for most people. It's different, but I happen to think it's hilarious. Also, I live in New Orleans, which makes it that much more interesting to me. It's good, somewhat cheesy, and very original, and in my opinion definitely worth a read.