Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM

Default KK - I hate the way I played this

Villain is 29/14/oo over a very small sample so no reads really.

This line I took felt awful. Any suggestions for a better line.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $28.75
UTG: $59.30
MP: $113.15
CO: $124.10
Hero (BTN): $51.35
SB: $46.75

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, 2 folds, MP calls $2

Flop: ($5.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($11.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $6</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $15</font>, MP calls $9

River: ($41.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $30.85 and is All-In</font>, MP............
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: KK - I hate the way I played this

You picked a strange card to raise on. I would have just called the turn. (But, then, I always get scared when JT pulls ahead of me.)

Prior to that, a flop raise does seem like an option. Possibly it's what Villain is hoping for, but 8x doesn't really seem that likely. On the downside, an immediate raise does let him get away from 55 easily, but it's entirely possible he wasn't going to put much (or maybe any) more money with that hand anyway.

In any event, probably I check the river. Villain didn't seem too perturbed by your ambush raise, and I'm not so sure I want to play for stacks. (I mean, we beat 97, T9, and J9, but still . . . Villain won't always call again if part of the reason he called the turn was to chase a straight.)
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 AM

you played it fine

not

i would not slowplay KK on this flop. raise it to at least 9$. if you decided to call - ok, but PLEASE raise the turn to atleast 20$ and pot it on the river. the villain prolly has A9 or even something much lower but the way you played it leaves also room for a monster. playing this straightforward makes life easier for you.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 AM

He isn't likely to be limping with JJ or QQ, chances is he has some crap like X9 or X8. The turn tells me he most likely has an underpair or a 9, 8 would surely have pushed.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you played it fine

not

i would not slowplay KK on this flop. raise it to at least 9$. if you decided to call - ok, but PLEASE raise the turn to atleast 20$ and pot it on the river. the villain prolly has TT/JJ/QQ or even something lower but the way you played it leaves also room for a monster. playing this straightforward makes life easier for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I'm well aware of that. I like the raise to $20 on the turn, which makes the river shove easier. Get more value from 9x and other random pp's.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you played it fine

not

i would not slowplay KK on this flop. raise it to at least 9$. if you decided to call - ok, but PLEASE raise the turn to atleast 20$ and pot it on the river. the villain prolly has TT/JJ/QQ or even something lower but the way you played it leaves also room for a monster. playing this straightforward makes life easier for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I'm well aware of that. I like the raise to $20 on the turn, which makes the river shove easier. Get more value from 9x and other random pp's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think he is calling a river push with X9 ?
TT,JJ,QQ I think he raises PF.

I would reraise TURN but not that one.
As played , on the river I would just check behind.Don't think he is going to call you with hands that you beat.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM

I typically raise flop to get his money in before a scarecard hits
Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 AM

I think you should raise the flop, as stated above, simply because you are ahead of most of his range. It's unlikely he has an 8, since there's 2 of 'em on board, and anything with a 9 in it, will probably call you. Like J9, A9, whatever. He will probably call you with a crappy straight draw of some sort.

On the turn, a lot of straights got there. After we flat called flop, we don't know where we are at, and he's still firing. He could have a straight or he could still have like A9. We don't know, so I might get scared and just try to get to showdown cheap. I think raising is fine too, although I would probably raise more.

On river, why are you putting more money in? Our hand isn't that good, and this guy called our turn bet. No busted draw is going to call you here. So you are getting value from stuff with a 9 in it, that he hasn't given up on, and overpairs lower than yours. I don't think he's calling here with a 9 too often TBH. I just check behind.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I typically raise flop to get his money in before a scarecard hits

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

You should call the turn and check the river behind as played, raising when the draw hits just turns your hand into a huge bluff.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM

I'd hate to fold him out on the flop since it's unlikely to have hit him (from a combinations standpoint. Since he is very loose, he can have an 8 ldo). If he is a LAG, his betting range is much wider than his calling range. If he wants to bluff me, fine. I am just calling down here a lot. So I let him represent the 8. If he calls a raise and stays in the hand in a big pot, I'm getting scared. What is he getting it in here with that we beat? He would have raised most PPs preflop and will he stack off with KJo here? Unlikely. If you show strength here, I think you narrow his range too much. And since you say you have no real read, I don't know why I should want to play a huge pot with a single pair on a paired and somewhat drawy board. I think a medium pot size is just fine for this hand. If he 3barrels this, I can see me folding against an unknown, actually.

as played:
The turn isn't a nice card to raise and since he doesn't go away, I don't push this river. I check behind.