Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Live 1/2NL, AKs flops top pair against tight unknown

Effective stacks $250.

The only hand I can remember was where the flop was QJ9 3-handed. I bet, another player raised, and he re-raised and called an all-in with J9, losing to a straight. He had limped in middle position. I couldn't remember if it was suited. He is a fairly tight player (I hadn't seen him in too many flops), and I haven't seen many hands of his shown down, so I don't know too much about his postflop play. He doesn't seem notably aggressive or non-aggressive.

Hero has been playing tight and getting aggressive in big pots. The exception to this was the growing disrespect for my $6 preflop raises, which I was making with a variety of pairs and suited cards, as well as good hands, both behind limpers and open-raising. I have rarely shown down one of these hands, by either picking up the pot or folding to large action. Everyone at the table was lamenting this $6 raises, so it would be hard for Villian to go with noticing this one.

Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Live 1/2 NL, $200 max, no-rake, 10-handed

Preflop:
Folds to Hero, who opens for $6. A solid SB calls. BB (Villian) calls.

Flop: ($18) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Checked to Hero, who bets $12. Folded to Villian, who now raises to $25. Hero figures that on a dry flop like this, villian most likely has an A, and probably with a worse kicker. Hero calls.

Turn: ($68) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Villian bets $50. Hero delays slightly and calls (?).

River: ($168) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Villian goes all-in for $117. Villian is fairly still. After thinking about my action for a while, I ask villian if he can beat two pair, he responds after a few seconds. He says, "$117 to find out". Another player mentions that he really wants to know what I have (due to the $6 raise). Villian says to him that if I call, he'll find out. Hero finally acts.

Rate my play overall and determine my river action.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Live 1/2NL, AKs flops top pair against tight unknown

It sounds like he wants you to call. If he was fairly tight I might fold this because I don't think he'd push with a TPGK.

That said, Raise more preflop this aint stars.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 AM

My plan was to call down (can you tell I'm a limit player?). Should I be re-evaluating once he pushes, or should I have done something different on the flop or turn?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:47 AM

Bump.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM

Fist I like to make larger Pf raises live behind limpers. Sounds like you were making alot of "pot sweetener type riases witch is good with small PP and SC but with a hand like AK I would like a bigger raise to narrow villians holdings a bit, as played I would have to fold prob has a hand like Arag for 2pairs.

Unless you strongly feel this player is making a stand with less than 2pairs I would fold this.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 PM

I don't have a problem with the preflop, since you were first in. Your previous play disguises the strength of your hand which is good if you are going to get called down.
HOWEVER
Watch out for that check minraise. Notice how the bet sizes are perfectly computed to get you all-in by the river in slightly less than Pot-size chunks. Like a lobster being slowly boiled to death.

I'd call the flop raise and re-eval, but bail on the turn, definitely on the river. Seems like villain is the type to wait for a spot to take a stand. Don't pay off this type of player.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you strongly feel this player is making a stand with less than 2pairs I would fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]