Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Stud/8 - keep peeling?

I don't know if this is a very interesting hand or not, but I think 4th and 5th are kind of close calls. It's one of those where I feel like my hand is ok enough to play but has the potential to suck me in and lose a bunch of bets.

The table overall is loose-passive except for Seat 1 who's pretty aggressive but I wouldn't classify as a lagtard.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.15 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (6.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (5.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (9.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls

River - (25.60 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___

Total pot: (27.60 BB - $27.60)
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 - keep peeling?

3rd is kind of close for me. It would depend on what I thought of villian, as well as the ante/bringin structure - I may do anything from fold to raise there. If op was solid then I'd lean toward folding, even if I were getting the right price via the structure. These are the sort of hands that can get expensive agaist a solid player, as you'll often catch just enough to get into trouble. If the op was destined to make mistakes later in the hand then I'd be much more apt to play on.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I think 4th and 5th are kind of close calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I'll admit that I don't know much about online stud, but I bring this hand in fo 15¢, then when seat 1 completes, I either fold or jam it for the rest of the hand.

From what you have said about seat 1, I'd probably keep raising. This isn't a hand that I want to play passively against multiple opponents, but it is fine heads up when played agressively.

It starts out with a pair of 6s and an ace. A pair of 6s ain't much, but it is hard to beat heads-up in a stud 8 game. The 2 on 4th street is ideal. It gives you a low draw and a low-draw look that sets up the two-pair on 5th street.

I like the way seat 1 played his 8. It's an ambiguous card and the 6d he catches on 4th is ideal because it can hit low, straight, or flush draws.

[ QUOTE ]
It's one of those where I feel like my hand is ok enough to play but has the potential to suck me in and lose a bunch of bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean about getting sucked in by it, but I think one of the secrets of this game is to be able to play hands like this aggressively for a street or two and then fold them abruptly if neccessary.

jmo
Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM

tbh I just bring in/fold 3rd

4th street I pitch it.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM

5th is very close IMO. I would probably just call down as I am not too concerned about the other two players to act behind us.

In general hands like 6A6 play great in HU or 3 handed pots, but once you get multi-way like this they become more and more marginal. However in this hand only one person has a board that really scares me so we gotta just call down UI.

On the river if the two players in between you and 864 call and then the 864 raises I would three bet.

Edit: BTW I am a huge showdown monkey(I showed down AK high yesterday hoping for half LOL) but lately I have been folding 6th sometimes when it really hits the fan. Where as before if I got to 6th I was definitely going to showdown with a hand like this. So just keep in mind if it gets really dirty on 6th you might think about folding...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5th is very close IMO. I would probably just call down as I am not too concerned about the other two players to act behind us.

In general hands like 6A6 play great in HU or 3 handed pots, but once you get multi-way like this they become more and more marginal. However in this hand only one person has a board that really scares me so we gotta just call down UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was lucky that both Seats 4 and 8 bricked. If either caught a baby, it would make things that much more difficult. I would probably still call the first bet and see what they did behind me (they were also bad players and I feel less likely to jam here if they made a 7).

[ QUOTE ]
On the river if the two players in between you and 864 call and then the 864 raises I would three bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, unlikely anyone else is going high. As played they both apparently missed and folded the river. Seat 1 started with 53, one diamond.

Myself, I don't like how Seat 1 played his hand on 4th and capping 6th. He's got the worst low draw betting into 3 people showing better low draws and two of his gutshot cards dead. On 6th he HAS to bet out since he's hoping I'll raise and get rid of the draws but once they call, capping doesn't do much for him but increase his variance.

But maybe I'm wrong. If I give (54) to Seat 4 and (64) to Seat 8, Seat 1 has a whopping 39% equity. Maybe it's a function of the cards I chose and the fact that I'm holding so many of their outs. Still seems surprising to me.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2808622
pokenum -7s8 3h 5d 8d 6d 4c kh - 6h as 6c 2s 2d 2c - 5c 4s 7h ac jc kd - 6s 4h 7d 3d 9s 3s / ad qc 9d qh
7-card Stud Hi/Low 8-or-better: 255024 enumerated outcomes
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
4c 8d 6d 5d Kh 3h 0 0 255024 0 198492 54852 1680 0.391
As 2s 6c 2c 2d 6h 0 255024 0 0 0 0 0 0.500
4s Ac Jc 5c Kd 7h 0 0 255024 0 19866 33264 0 0.039
9s 6s 3s 7d 3d 4h 0 0 255024 0 34986 37716 1680 0.070
Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 PM

3rd is close. I dont think anything you do can be very wrong.

4th is very marginal. If the players behind me are not aggressive and unlikely to raise, then a call is okay. It'd have been much better if you were closing the action.

5th? I disagree. When the guys behind you brick, I think you have to check raise and try to get heads up in this decent sized pot, and hope your two pairs survive and he doesnt hit a pat hand. Even if you the guys call behind you and seat 1 3bets, you're at least jamming with equity. With the diamonds and their respective hands interfering with each other, your chances of surviving the river are pretty.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 AM

I think folding is somewhat better on third. It's fairly likely that the raiser has a pair higher than yours, and one of your Aces is gone. I also think fourth is a fold, but I don't think the call is terrible. One of your Sixes has died, which significantly diminishes my enthusiasm for this kind of hand. Also, another Ace is gone. Finally, there are a couple of strong low boards, so there's an excellent chance that you're behind in both directions.

Having caught a second pair on fifth, I think you should either bet or check-raise, probably check-raise, and put some pressure on the guys behind you. There's a good chance that you have the best high hand, but it's extremely vulnerable. You've also got a dubious low shot. I'd like to get this heads-up against the aggressor.

Having filled on sixth, jam until someone gives you a reason not to.