Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Keep my tight image?

I've been playing a weekly home game for about 1 1/2 months now and have developed an extremely tight image. One of the guys declared the other night 'you'll never win a big pot because you're so easy to read'.

Fortunately I'm not so interested in those big pots when I can keep stealing from them all night long.

Should I loosen my image up a bit to get more action or appear tight and keep stealing. They're not observant enough to notice my stealing as long as I don't get caught bluffing in a big pot.

The game is 50/1 NLHE with $50 max buyin. There are 2 loose aggressive players, 4 loose passive and 1 tight aggressive. One of the players loves to comment about people's hand (like the comment about mine), strenghtening my tight image.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Keep my tight image?

Go with what works for you. I had a squeaky tight image at one game, which allowed for post oak bluffs, but I was getting bored with it. Live it up while you have the image, but don't be afraid to loosen up your game, raise with middle connectors or a small pocket pair sometimes. Hell, pick a hand to play like aces. Mine is T7 of spades. The beauty is that you'll usually be folding these, so nobody will know, but when you hit, you'll get paid off big, and people will start taking shots at you. Then blammo, go back to playing tight. Rinse, repeat, profit.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 AM

Keep the tight image but steal even more.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 AM

If they think you are tight and you play tight, that's a mistake.

I would recommend that you abuse your tight image until they catch you in a bluff or two. Until you get caught in a couple of bluffs, you are not doing it enough.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Constantly play the other way.
If they think you're tight, start playing like a maniac.
When they realise you're playing like a maniac you should be playing tight again.

result: They pay you off when you're playing tight and they fold when you're bluffing.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When they realise you're playing like a maniac you should be playing tight again.

result: They pay you off when you're playing tight and they fold when you're bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see that as a succesful strategy for his situation with 2 LAGs and a TAG at his table. The other advice in this thread was better.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see that as a succesful strategy for his situation with 2 LAGs and a TAG at his table. The other advice in this thread was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with LAG you think about those fishes who call down with anything. If they are true LAG players then they will aswell notice when he's playing tight. They might be betting alot but he could reraise them light when his image is tight.
Same goes for the TAGs
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go with what works for you. I had a squeaky tight image at one game, which allowed for post oak bluffs, but I was getting bored with it. Live it up while you have the image, but don't be afraid to loosen up your game, raise with middle connectors or a small pocket pair sometimes. Hell, pick a hand to play like aces. Mine is T7 of spades. The beauty is that you'll usually be folding these, so nobody will know, but when you hit, you'll get paid off big, and people will start taking shots at you. Then blammo, go back to playing tight. Rinse, repeat, profit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you play T7 in the SB/BB or at any position? And see, the problem I have with playing a hand like this, suited or not, is I raise it, get called, nothing hits, and I'm out those raised chips. I guess I'm thinking we only start with 740 in chips, so a big raise that doesn't pay off hurts. And that's why I'm an ABC TAG player.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you play T7 in the SB/BB or at any position? And see, the problem I have with playing a hand like this, suited or not, is I raise it, get called, nothing hits, and I'm out those raised chips. I guess I'm thinking we only start with 740 in chips, so a big raise that doesn't pay off hurts. And that's why I'm an ABC TAG player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing a tourney and not a cash game? You need to tell us that in the OP.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with LAG you think about those fishes who call down with anything. If they are true LAG players then they will aswell notice when he's playing tight. They might be betting alot but he could reraise them light when his image is tight.
Same goes for the TAGs

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to you suggesting he play maniac style. Going from TAG or TP to playing uber-lag is not a good idea because when he figures out that they realize he's bluffing he'll have already lost his chips. And it does nothing for his meta-game that mixing things up a bit wouldn't also do but with less volatility.