Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Disagreement - $109 turbo

Me and my friend totally disagreed on this hand, what you guys think (dont have HH, so this is from memory)

109 crapshoot (3 minute blinds) on Ladbrokes and this hand came up...

blinds 300-600 no antes. 10 handed table had been playing tight as is always the case in these turbos, 37 left or something money at FT (1st ~$2900)

UTG+1 shoves all in for ~2550 (no real reads, semi solid i suppose)
folded to Hero (tight) in SB with 77, he has 3700 and BB who is pretty tight covers. We disagreed on what to do here.

Push or fold?

If you push what is the worst hand you push?
If you fold what is the best hand you fold?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Disagreement - $109 turbo

Easy push. You only have 6 big blinds at this point, so you need to gamble. And UTG+1 is probably shoving an enormous range in this spot, close to any two methinks.

I think I push here with 22+, A7+, A4s+, KJ+, KTs+.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 PM

extremely easy push, u cant wait forever at these levels and this is as good a chance as most, push in and take the chance. Very odd for everyone to be playing tight with blinds quick, u say this is normal, please tell me the game cuz u should be very aggro with blinds so frequent.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
extremely easy push, u cant wait forever at these levels and this is as good a chance as most, push in and take the chance. Very odd for everyone to be playing tight with blinds quick, u say this is normal, please tell me the game cuz u should be very aggro with blinds so frequent.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems to be a common belief, but I came across this article suggesting that tight play can be strong assuming the play is wild. Low buy-in single table SNGs certainly get wild and tight play pays off more then I thought it would (I've folded into the money before in a $5 buy-in).

Of course, if play is tight using the same reasoning as the article agressive play would be best since it goes against the grain of the tables this guy is playing.

Here is the link.
http://cardplayer.com/blog/entry/146
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM

The problem with your logic is comparing SNGs to MTTs. It certainly is appropriate to play very tight early in SNGs because the pay scale is somewhat spread-out (not top heavy). It is only 66% increase in money from 1st to 2nd in an SNG (typically).

In MTTs, this is almost never the case. Tournaments with a top heavy pay structure reward those who are willing to take some gambles (i.e. not pass up on edges). In this tournament for example, you might be able to fold into the money by playing tight, but you will NEVER win the big prize without a mad run of cards. Since the big prize is worth so much more than just making it ITM, it is worth taking these sorts of gambles to try to win.