Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 AM

Default A Soldier\'s Dilema

Your unit is deep within enemy territory and has suffered massive casualities in severe heavy fighting. A rescue chopper has just flown in to evacuate those of you who are left. Your unit advances towards the chopper as bullets whiz past your head and grenades explode all around you.

As you run, you see a body laying on the ground that you immediately recognize as the guy you came up through boot camp with. You've been through it all together and have become best friends. You hit the ground beside him and realize he is still alive, although barely. Both his legs are blown off as is one of his arms. He is lying in a tremendous pool of blood. You look back at the chopper and see your commanding officer yelling at you to move out! He notices your friend but immediately understands (as do you), that your friend cannot be saved. Even if you could somehow carry him to the chopper, he is too badly wounded.

Your buddy realizes the sitution and as you look to him one last time you hear him say, "Kill me". You look back to the chopper and your commanding officer is now screaming at you to move out and telling you it's an order! Everyone else is almost aboard and you are close to endangering the whole unit. Your friend pleads... "Please! I'd rather it be you than them."

You draw your pistol and point it at his head. He looks straight at you with no fear in his eyes. This is what he wants. Do you pull the trigger? Or do you leave him there to die and possibly suffer a worse fate? Would it be morally wrong to kill your friend in this spot? Assuming you did kill him, would you ever tell his family what happened that day on the battlefield?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Re: A Soldier\'s Dilema

I'd hate myself for making the right choice forever and willingly carry the demons. There are costs in warfare that should only be shared with people that will understand. Watch over the family for him if the opportunity comes to do so.

Damnable question.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 AM

Defintely right to shoot.

Not sure about telling the familly, I think the knowledge of what happened is a burden and has no other value. Its going to be tough to live with and maybe best not to lay that burden on his familly.

chez
Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 AM

save him anyway and try my best to revive him in the heli.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay if we're going to ignore the premise then canceling the war is what i'd have done.

chez
Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 AM

How could you not shoot?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 AM

If you were his commanding officer and witnessed the event, would you have him court martialed?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were his commanding officer and witnessed the event, would you have him court martialed?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

chez
Old 09-22-2006, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay if we're going to ignore the premise then canceling the war is what i'd have done.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

i played by the rules- sir.
I am willing to let him suffer and possibly die anyway in the heli on the chance i could keep him hanging in there.

If i was the CO i would be upset at the time if he took too long to decide (puts whole group at risk) but a good CO puts the lives of his men ahead of the mission.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:08 AM

I would shoot, I cant see any argument not to (if you think violence is always wrong you probably shouldnt have become a soldier and gone to war).

I would tell the family if I judged that they would be reassured that he avoided torture or lying in a ditch bleeding to death. I'd keep it to myself if I thought it would upset them.