Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 03:20 AM

Default Abortion on a plate: The Anniversary Edition

News article about demonstrators: Roe vs. Wade

Interesting tidbit from the above article:

"When American women are barred from accessing health services at the whim of a politician's religious beliefs, we are not in a democracy at all," said Bree Herndon-Michael, a member of the Idaho Women's Network.

So, we are not in a democrary. I don't about anybody else around here but I find this to be rather startling news. If it is true, I welcome it. I'm sick of democracy, it's too messy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Also this from the above article:

Many who support abortion rights held a candlelight vigil in front of the Supreme Court Sunday night, waving signs that read: "Alito-No Justice For Women," and "Keep Abortion Legal."

The rhetoric will be cranked up to a great entertainment level this week. Stay tuned.

-Zeno
Old 01-23-2006, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Abortion on a plate: The Anniversary Edition

Nothing says "democracy" like murdering babies.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:01 AM

How abortion became a womens rights issue is far beyond me. The two are completely unconnected.

There has only ever been on issue in abortion, wether the fetus is alive or not. That isn't a women's issue.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 AM

There has actually been much progress for the pro-abortion crowd since Roe v. Wade. Now they can legally allow a pre-born infant on the edge of viability to be partially delievered so that its head might be crushed by a pair of forceps outside the womb.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:27 AM

This Sunday I happened to be staying with at my aunts house. We went to church and the theme was a condemnation of abortion. The pastor is a great speaker and it was a great sermon. Interestingly enough, in the back of the church pamphlet was the Wisconsin Right to Life Organisation, of which I'm subscribed to their newsletter.

Just an interesting experience. I was a little surprised because I didn't know it was the aniversary of R. v W.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 AM

You guys sound like the people that stand outside clinics and hurl insults and rocks.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys sound like the people that stand outside clinics and hurl insults and rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This board will never be an accurate representation on abortion views because of the preponderance of males; not that it the super-majority of males doesn't influence the discourse on other issues as well, but certainly abortion more than most.

Regardless, if they think abortion is 'murder' like Peter666 and BCPVP, then I should hope they stand outside clinics and hurl rocks. Frankly they should be doing much more than that, IMO.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 AM

I wouldn't label it murder like some, but I do think it can be fairly labeled willful homocide for selfish reasons.

It is a great poverty that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.
--Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Old 01-23-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't label it murder like some, but I do think it can be fairly labeled willful homocide for selfish reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with this. I think I've settled on viewing it as an 'unethical killing' but I think calling it willful homicide is certainly accurate.

I'll leave 'selfish reasons' for others to debate.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:30 AM

Location: Cat Hunting in WI...Here kitty-kitty...Here kitty-kitty...

[ QUOTE ]
How abortion became a womens rights issue is far beyond me. The two are completely unconnected.

There has only ever been on issue in abortion, wether the fetus is alive or not. That isn't a women's issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does become a woman's issue within the context of Casey which states that a woman's equality in the workplace and the world can be determinable by a pregnancy. That the ability to exercise control over their reproductive rights is crucial to equality. This is a good legal argument if it didn't involve another individual namely the unborn baby.

I completely agree that birth control is a personal choice and must be exercised and not forced. No man can say to a women "you can't use birth control or You must use birth control". But once the pregancy has occurred, then it involves another person and therefore it ceases to be a woman's preference issue and an equality issue and the dominate right is the life of the unborn child. I think the line of birth control should end at the presence of a heart beat and/or brain activity.

But even with this comes gray areas such as rape and the health of the mother. In the event of rape, the woman's ability to prevent pregency is subverted and unconsented and such they pregnency was forced into existance where it would not had the crime of rape not occurred. I can see the legal grounds and moral grounds for that pregnency to be terminated. But, as a Christian I cannot support that because of my understanding of the sanctity of life and that it is not the unborn babies fault that the mother was rape and why should this innocent victim be punished for a crime. In cases of the health of the mother, I think that this clearly falls in the favor of the woman. Her life is established and their may be people dependent on her. So this established life is more valuable than the life of the child. I also think that it should be up to the mother in case such as these. I can tell you right now I would incourage my wife to have an abortion if her life was in danger. So then the rape case come into view here with the mental health of the woman having to carry the baby full term from this horrible crime. This again is a grey area and up for debate.

So it is a woman's right issue...I just believe the right to live on the part of the vulnerable unborn member of society trumps a woman's preferences.

-Gryph