Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Maniacs

I'm in a game where people call 3-5x BB regularly with K5s+ from one guy. Another will call almost any opening raise from his BB and occasionaly open with things like 24o. Should I bother to try to read their hands or just try to figure out if I'm ahead or not, and bet the crap outta TPGK or better?

Oh they'll peel with bottom pair. I hate getting stacked when they spike two-pair on the river. These guys play ultra donk and I can beat them, but I feel like a butcher and not a surgeon.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Maniacs

Put them on a range. The larger the range, the more showdowns you can see. If they are willing to put their whole stack in a lot of the time, then play a lot of low suited connectors and any pair, make a monster hand, and rake in the chips.

If a player is betting/raising all the way to the river, then just call down with your TPTK type hands.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 PM

Pay attention to how they play after the flop - it's easy to get blindsided by the fact that some dude raised 24o UTG and not notice that he played it pretty well post-flop. Some maniacs will bet and raise anything, but will quickly fold the junk when they miss and you start showing strength. Some turn into calling stations. Some will just go nuts the whole hand.

You'll probably never be able to put them on specific hands, but a lot of weak players will still let you know when they've hit something - look for betting paterns and get used to the idea that yes, that offsuit 2 on the river really did hit him, and you should let go of your TP.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like a butcher and not a surgeon

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but do you want to feel smart or make money? You could try focusing on physical tells - it's a little more satisfying than just nut-peddling and will save you from having to call every horrible river suckout. Just remember that a very weak player might give of a "strong hand" tell when they make middle pair with no kicker.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but do you want to feel smart or make money? You could try focusing on physical tells - it's a little more satisfying than just nut-peddling and will save you from having to call every horrible river suckout. Just remember that a very weak player might give of a "strong hand" tell when they make middle pair with no kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to improve my game and win money.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Tend to play passively against maniacs and tricky players, except when you hold a monster. Then fight fire with fire and play tricky yourself.

Some maniacs know when to fold but don't know when to stop betting.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the crap outta TPGK or better

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, there's a difference between guys who are superloose preflop and on the flop and guys who are maniacs. A lot of guys will peel with bottom pair but they're absolutely honest with their raises; they tell you when they've sucked out on you by bombing the pot. Otherwise they check/call or check/fold. Against those guys just fold when they raise you.

Against the true maniacs, take a stand with your good hands and cross your fingers.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:18 PM

Not really... You ever here a guy say "Well if I don't really know what I'm doing... He can't ever tell." Thats pretty much what a few of em' do, a couple or a little better. Though I have see a guy call my raise with 23o when I had KJo: Flop comes 1032r. I continuation bet, he calls. Turn is a J. I bet it. He gives a giggle and calls. I know I'm about to get screwed and the river is K and I push. He calls bottom 2 pair.

That story has nothing to do with anything.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 AM

I'd do what you say. Play the odds.