Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 08:21 PM

Default A warning to those planning to sell Amazon Codes on ebay

Long story short, I got scammed out of my $500 gift code by someone who used what I'm assuming to be a stolen credit card to pay for gift code after winning my Ebay auction. All I’m told by Paypal is that this individual used fraudulent means to pay me.

The funds appeared in my Paypal account, everything looked normal, so I sent him the code. The next day I get emails from Paypal and other Ebay sellers who also sold Amazon codes to this individual with the same problem.

As it stands now I'm out the $500 code, the supposed cash that showed up in my account, and it doesn't look like I'm going to recover either. I'm quite angry with Paypal because they could have easily implemented a policy where the funds could have cleared first or otherwise confirmed to be legitimate, but instead they rather pass the entire risk onto the seller without reasonably informing them of this risk. Paypal stepping up and eating this fraud should be what they do if they want to maintain their reputation as an honest broker, either that or make sure the funds are legitimate before transferring between accounts. This is just unacceptable.

So even if you’re not selling Amazon codes, just be aware that money showing up in your Paypal account is as good as nothing, they’ll take it right back out if they want.

I’ve contacted Amazon trying to get the order associated with the code canceled and they’ve been no help. I’ve printed out the code and mailed it via UPS so I can prove delivery to Paypal. I’ve contacted Poker Stars, whom I understand have absolutely no liability here, but I thought they might be able to contact someone at Amazon on my behalf to stop shipment on this order. So far nothing has come through. Once again I’d just like to state in no way am I bashing Stars here, just simply stating what I’ve done.

In addition if nothing gets anywhere I’m trying to organize those of us who got scammed by this individual so we can contact local authorities and the Attorney General of whatever state their from. I’m assuming the address provided to us was bogus. If anyone has any further ideas please pass them my way.

Be careful, I’m not the most anal person with online transactions but I do like to feel I take precautions, and this one completely broadsided me.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: A warning to those planning to sell Amazon Codes on ebay

I thought Paypal guaranteed something to the seller of Ebay auctions.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM

thanks for the warning. that really sucks.

I don't ebay hardly at all (I think 0 purchases there in last 2-3 yrs) but have been curious about the likelihood of getting scammed like that and always figued it was reasonably high.

In the MTT-community they have a long thread for those who want to purchase and sell PokerStars W$ and T$.

Perhaps there is a similar supply and demand amongst 2+2'ers for amazon cards.
Lots are looking to sell them obviously.
And I think there might be enough 2+2'ers who would be interested in purchasing them at less than 100%.

This wouldn't be a guarantee either of course. But transactions could be done through Stars. And you could do agreements only with 2+2'ers who you at least kinds of know if you wanted.

Not sure if such a 'marketplace' for amazon cards would be appropriate on 2+2.
Just tossing out the idea.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 PM

what's the standard price for $500 amazon card on ebay? i'd consider buying one from a trusted 2+2'er, I like bob's idea.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 PM

It is well known that Paypal often takes money from sellers for no reason/little reason and provides little/no way for the sellers to get the money back.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:58 PM

i hear you with that...but one thing to consider is to make sure payments are made with quasi cash. i don't know if that would stop paypal from repossessing for fraud on the other end, but it does stop people from claiming that you didn't send merchandise when you send them cash that you can't prove.

that is what happened to me several years ago, and paypal just recently reopened my paypal account without me having to send ID.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is well known that Paypal often takes money from sellers for no reason/little reason and provides little/no way for the sellers to get the money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had you trasferred the money to your bank account as soon as you recieved it, it would not have helped you either. Paypal will transfer back the money from your bank account in this instance as well.

Bottom line: Paypal sucks. Don't trust paypal. Don't keep money at Paypal.

Sorry to hear what happened to you...
Old 08-02-2006, 11:08 PM

Happens alot with other non tangible goods as there is no way to track it. The buyer has up to 30 days to refund his payment.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:38 PM

do they do that with the "quasi cash?"
Old 08-02-2006, 11:44 PM

For the record I started the transfer to my bank account process as soon as the funds arrived, this process was reversed by Paypal without a hitch.

Quasi Cash meaning not linked to an Ebay auction? (the drop down menu when you select purpose of transfer, right?) Since in my case the scum bag used what I believe to be a stolen credit card, I doubt it would have changed matters.

I hope they did something stupid like you see people post on here every other day: charge to the bank account and then close it, because then there is at least a route back to this person. If it was a stolen card, I don't see much luck other than getting the address from Amazon that the scum bag had the order made with the code shipped to.