Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 AM

Default LASIK: Trip Report

Well yesterday I got LASIK on my -6.00 eyes (20/800). The procedure was with the TLC Laser Eye Center with the same Doctor that did Tiger Woods. Overall the procedure took maybe 5-10 minutes total. Sit Down, get zapped and walk out.

To me, the procedure is very disturbing. I hate surgery so for me it might be worse than others. I wasnt prepared for the smell of the cornea burning from the laser. Its also somewhat disturbing while they paint your cornea flap back down over your eye.

The 2-3 hours after the surgery are the worst. I took 2 Tylenol PM and some Motrin but it still felt like a cheese grater went across my eye. I feel asleep when I got home and awoke a few hours later feeling a lot better.

This morning I was able to drive to my Post operation appointment fine. Still a little blurryness with lights and words up close, but other than that I can see pretty well. Overall I am happy its over with. The best part about it was today is the first day of my life I was able to see the alarm clock when I woke up.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: LASIK: Trip Report

Congrats. I had this done about 4 years ago (similar experience to yours). The best part for me was that I had it done in the summer: Driving to my post op the next day WEARING SUNGLASSES (with no contacts!) was sweet. Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:41 AM

I had the same surgery from the same doctor last Thursday.
I'm 20/20 now in both eyes and very happy with the result.

I'm curious why you found it so disturbing. Did you take the offered Valium? Did he use the laser to cut the flap or use the micro-keratome (for the rest of OOT, there are two ways of cutting a corneal flap; one uses a laser and the other uses a blade)?

My visit was similar to yours. Ten minutes and out, then Tylenol PM and a 4-hour nap. He used the blade on my eyes, which made me nervous but took a very short time to do (about 1 second--the laser takes longer). I felt a little discomfort and some light sensitivity when I left the office, then went straight to sleep and they never bothered me again.

I actually kind of reveled in the creepiness of what was happening--you really do smell a smell like burning plastic while the laser reshapes your eye.

I just had my one-week checkup and all seems to be well, aside from a little bit of dryness.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Congrats, I had mine done 2 years ago this March. It is such a weird thing to go through, but thankfully it is such a short procedure that I found it bearable. I actually felt like I was somehow cheating b/c my eyes never hurt once nor did I experience any discomfort. Weird. The next morning I could read license plates across the street from my bedroom window and figured it worked and it didn't blind me. I've been 20/20 in my left and slightly better than perfect at 20/15 in my right. Best money I've ever spent.

My one suggestion, don't ever worry about over-doing it with the moisturizing drops. Put them in constantly for the first month or so, and just keep doing it after that.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 AM

I have EXTREME eye issues. I can't bear anything coming close to my eyes. Putting in Eye drops even is a living nightmare for me. Do you guys think there is any hope in hell that I could sit through this surgery without freaking out Total Recall style?

Ray
Old 02-10-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have EXTREME eye issues. I can't bear anything coming close to my eyes. Putting in Eye drops even is a living nightmare for me. Do you guys think there is any hope in hell that I could sit through this surgery without freaking out Total Recall style?

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]
just from reading some of these posts i'm freaking out...i hope i never need this
Old 02-10-2006, 12:01 PM

Probably not
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Glad to hear that your proceedures went well.

I had PRK done last January. Went from 20/400 to 20/15. Took 3 months to fully heal, and involved about 2 solid days of "omg I want to gouge my eyes out" pain. You guys got off easy with LASIK. Yeah, I wasn't prepared for the smell either, but it's not the first time I've smelled my own flesh burning.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

For those that don't know: PRK is LASIK, but with no flap. They just burn the corneas directly and then you have to wear contacts over the sandpaper-like corenas untill they heal and smooth over.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys think there is any hope in hell that I could sit through this surgery without freaking out Total Recall style?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. My proceedure involved taking eye drops 4x a day for 3 months.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM

I have -8.00 and -8.50 eyes...and I will never get this done.