Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Default $11rebuy 1st hour strategy?

Im looking for some advice on this topic especially for players with not big bankrolls. how do you play them? whats a reasonable chip stack at the end of the rebuy period)including add-on obv) i keep on getting shafted in these and it sucks.

i fsomeone good could offer something, even a little bit i would appreciate it a lot. thanks,,later.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: $11rebuy 1st hour strategy?

for SURE don't play it right now.

Play the $3R like this: buy in, rebuy to t3000, open shove a few times with 88+ or AQ+, get called and repeat until you have at LEAST 6000. Add on.... play...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 AM

i just play solid poker there are usually doubleup opportunities more than a reg tourn .
Old 08-17-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play the $3R like this: buy in, rebuy to t3000, open shove a few times with 88+ or AQ+, get called and repeat until you have at LEAST 6000. Add on.... play...

[/ QUOTE ]

In the $3R you can openshove ANY pair and AT+. Depending how active the table is and how much I want to gamble, I even do this with Ax, any 2 broadway and SCs.

I try to get 9000+ chips as this puts me above the average chipcount. If you don't want to gamble to a point where you accumulate more chips than the average stack, you should play a FO, because once the real poker starts you are at a real disadvantage over the field ... take a normal FO for example where everyone starts with 1.500 chips but you start with 1.000. Would you play in such a tournament? No!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
take a normal FO for example where everyone starts with 1.500 chips but you start with 1.000, but have paid half the entry fee Would you play in such a tournament? yes!

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing tight in rebuys is +EV. I don't think it's as good as playing fairly loose and being happy to get your chips in with a lot more marginal hands because your opponenets are getting it in with even worse, but it's not a bad strategy and I'd still recommend rebuys over freezeouts.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM

If you have a small bankroll, play a bit tighter than the rest of the field, but don't pass up on coinflip situations. Don't be afraid to take a gamble with suited connectors and stuff like that if there's already a significant pot to be won. Gamble, but play tight...

I always aim for at least 2x average stack when 2nd hour begins. But, if that's not the case it's not the end of the world. Stars $11 R+A continues to run crazy for one more hour, so there are plenty of opportunities to double up. And here's where you must NOT pass up on a coinflip gamble, especially since your expected coinflip often is 65 to 35 in your favour. The second hour is where you build your stack...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 PM

this one situation came up wherei had 9k chips andi raised a limper to 200 and kind of loose player shoved for effectively 9k and i folded AKsuited. he had QQ and i would have doubled up. frustrating but do you think i made the right move considering 9k is decent to start with afte rthe rebuy period? maybe like 20 minutes left FWIW
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this one situation came up wherei had 9k chips andi raised a limper to 200 and kind of loose player shoved for effectively 9k and i folded AKsuited. he had QQ and i would have doubled up. frustrating but do you think i made the right move considering 9k is decent to start with afte rthe rebuy period? maybe like 20 minutes left FWIW

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely call, because he could be doing it with AQ, AJ etc, so it's +EV. But if your tight only call with KK, AA, your still going to be +EV overall, because it's such a huge overbet, which is why rebuys are good for any good player to play.