Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Missed draw, continue betting on river?

My brain's not working too good, I need advice on this one. Hand is from a 10-20 live game. Villain is your typical bit too loose, bit too passive, calling station live player. He also seems to be fairly inexperienced at o/8.

So I limp UTG with A234 rainbow and get 2 callers plus the blinds. Five to the flop of A, 5, 9 rainbow. I lead and only the villain who is to my left calls. Turn is another 5 which does not add a 2-flush. I bet again, villain calls. I'm pretty sure he would raise here if he held a 5 or better. River comes a Jack, so I end up with AA554 for high with a 5.5 BB pot. What's the best river play?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Missed draw, continue betting on river?

well if he is passive and a calling station I would just check. I don't think he's ganna bet here as he might haved missed aswell.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Hi WM - [ QUOTE ]
What's the best river play?

[/ QUOTE ]Check/call. If you win one time in seven you'll show a profit over the long haul.

(You certainly don't want to bet and get raised. But since there's a slight chance Villain would fold an ace with a better kicker, what to do, as almost always, is opponent dependent.)

If you bet and Villain calls, he likely will have an ace with a higher kicker. Without that, or without a five, I don't think Villain calls your bet.

But Villain might bet simply because you have checked, and in that case, if you win one time in seven, you'll show a profit.

Buzz
Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 AM

I think this is a super easy ck/call.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the help. Sometimes my aggressive nature gets the best of me in o/8. I bet out again partly out of frustration, but mainly in hopes of opponent making a mistake and folding. He called me with A9 for a better 2 pair, and I'm fairly certain he would have checked behind with a wide range, saving me a bet.