Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 PM

Default interesting AK 4 bet situation

Things to know about this hand: I have raised the previous three hands preflop. Villain has TAG stats and hasn't got out of line. Before pushing all in Villain thinks for a long time, using his time bank. Your thoughts on his range?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $28.80
UTG: $38.85
CO: $30.65
Hero (BTN): $27.80
SB: $4.55

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $3.75</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $11.35</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $28.80 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls $16.45 and is All-In
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: interesting AK 4 bet situation

Well , with your image and the fact that your raising from the button , he re-raise you and you re-re-raise and all this stuff looks like a button vs BB confrontation so i think its very possible he have 99+ AQs+.Some players will juste have JJ+ AK here but some might have 88+ AJs+ 2 thinking this guy know im re-raising him because he raised the previous 3 hands so now he re-raise me as a bluff or whatever.

But im tire right now so im not sure if im right with all this [censored].

still , i know one thing for sure ,i play it the same , and folding is out of question but i guess you know this lol.
I 4-bet often but sometimes i might call in position.

EDIT: with half your stack in it preflop after your 4-bet , the fact that he used his timebank looks a lot like 1010 JJ AQs more than KK-AA and QQ because if he had those hands he just know you are commited so why wasting his time? I dont say its impossible just less likely.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM

I want to comment on your 4bet as it's something I've started to avoid. Instead of 4betting half my stack in these spots I make a decision right there, either I'm calling or I'm pushing. I hate to get to the flop 40-50% invested and have a 1/2 pot bet left in my stack.

It's going to be hard to put opponent on a range since we can't really tell if he's adjusting or just happened to catch a hand. I would estimate a bottom end of maybe TT+, AQ+ to push. We've invested so much it doesn't really matter. You can't put half your stack in then fold.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM

Most often v. TAG: AA, KK, AK, QQ (if he's noticed your recent raises), nothing more.

I'd call his 3bet &gt; push.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM

In this specific situation considering u just raised 3 times and it looks like a blind war, his range is wider, especially when he thought about it for a bit. AQs+, TT+ or something close would be my guess. In any case, with your stack I'd play it the same. The reason I wouldn't 4-bet push this is that then he thinks you're really on a hand and his calling range is narrowed maybe dangerously. The 4-bet 3.5x is consistent with what's been happening, you raising and showing laggish appeal. If he had just called, that's fine, you can call a lot more considering the odds you're getting, or if the board is really scary then you can just get out if you really have to. Well played.

Edit: A huge upside to raising more instead of limping is to get value out of hands like this, this is the perfect situation to exploit the image you've given yourself raising the last few hands, IMO, the way you played it is perfect considering this. Simply calling the 3-bet preflop would've been an injustice to the potential value you created for yourself.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:03 PM

^^^^Question for you. So you 4bet 40% of your stack preflop, but this time your opponent calls. Flop comes JT4 or 458 or QT2, etc. And your opponent checks. You push? Also, same flops but this time your opponent open pushes, you fold all getting 3 to 1? That is the situation I want to avoid, thus my reason for calling the 3bet or pushing as a 4bet.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^^^^Question for you. So you 4bet 40% of your stack preflop, but this time your opponent calls. Flop comes JT4 or 458 or QT2, etc. And your opponent checks. You push? Also, same flops but this time your opponent open pushes, you fold all getting 3 to 1? That is the situation I want to avoid, thus my reason for calling the 3bet or pushing as a 4bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha, and you do make a good point, your reasoning was understood beforehand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Nevertheless, I'd personally feel comfortable reading the board afterwards if the situation presented itself and basing my decision thereafter on the player. The thing is, preflop, ur 4-bet can take it down right there, which is great. Otherwise, I doubt that tag is going to simply call that 4 bet 3.5x, he will either believe you and fold, or make a stance on ur recent aggression and push you for an easy call...as much as you don't want to get to the flop with half your stack behind, this opponent wants it even less since you've been laggish and thus potentially unpredictable...especially when he's oop.

Not that your play and reasoning isn't really sound, it is...however, in this specific situation considering all the circumstances, villain simply calling our 4-bet is not a fear of mine, and, 4-bet pushing what we have left behind will REALLY narrow his calling range down to potentially dangerous levels...thus, for me anyway, I would feel his current method of playing this hand was great.