Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Up against a maniac

Villain 4-bet me every street with ace high when I flopped a set against him. He has raised every chance he has gotten.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (13 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

------------

Is this a reasonable line against a maniac?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Up against a maniac

I'd fold preflop, and you should definitely bet the river.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM

I like donking into these spaztards in these spots as well, letting them protect our hand with their A hi raises.

I'm guessing you were hoping for another raise from villain on the turn? either way, I like it.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM

MW I think this is fine. I don't like overcalling with 2nd pair no kicker but I do it because the pots so big and I'm thinking that at these stakes players are calling here with stuff you beat often enough.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM

When a maniac is in a hand there is very often going to be two or more bets going in on each street. so when you are playing in a multiway pot and a maniac is in the mix and you have a marginal showdownable hand you need to think about these double bets a lot. you want others to face them and you never want to see them. this is why you bet the turn. this is why if I am UTG and I have 54 I am check/raising the river. don't let that happen to you. make someone else fold 97. make button call with ten high.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:44 PM

I never end up betting the turn here but i havent played a for real maniac like this since my micro days. Thinking about it I like betting the turn to knock out the rest of the field then just ck calling the river UI if he really capped every street with A hi one hand.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Okay. As for my view of the hand:

I limped preflop expecting maniac to raise. I also expected most of the limpers and probably the blinds to call because of his playing style. So, I knew I'd have proper odds to call a raise.

This hand could have some massive implied odds if I do hit the flop hard. I know for certain that maniac is raising any bets and raises postflop. So, I know this guy can cap every street and he would have no idea if I hit a big hand. This not only sweetens the pot for me, it knocks out anybody who might be trying to outdraw me, thus protecting my hand. Anybody who does stay in could be in deep trouble against me as well since his calling range will be much wider against a maniac than as opposed to a much tighter player. If I miss, I can get out with only losing a minimal investment.

At any rate, I hit top pair on the flop, obviously a solid hand in a shorthanded game. I bet for two reasons. One, I might have the best hand. And two, to protect my hand. I know maniac is raising and it is less likely for the players who have already checked to call two bets (of course I ended up being wrong on that, but oh well).

I hit a flush draw on the turn. I might not have the best hand for certain now, but an 8, 7 or diamond will very likely give me the best hand. I still bet out, expecting maniac to raise and having all of the players before me call two bets again. Even if I don't have the best hand now, this could pay off huge on the river if I do hit. Surprisingly enough, maniac calls and that allows the limpers to call.

Based on this, I really should have bet the river here. Maniac called the turn rather than raising. So, he probably has a hand, but isn't that confident about it. Plus, a bet from + maniac raise could force out hands from other players that might beat me. I decided to check/call here.

At showdown, maniac flipped over 6-5 offsuit and won the pot with two pair.