Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Default POTW: Maryland over UVA moneyline

Disclaimer: I'm a student at Maryland. Though this might appear to be a homeresque pick, I am from Charlottesville and UVA was always my team until I came to college.

Virginia comes into the game 6-1 and ranked for the first time in a few years. Off to their best start since 2004 when they had Marques Hagans, Alvin Pearman and Wali Lundy.

Look who they've beaten:
UConn, Duke, UNC, Midd Tenn St, Pitt

They also got their cookies tossed in their opener at Wyoming.

Maryland comes into the game 4-2 and a win or two away from being ranked. We lost our starting QB to a concussion against Rutgers, our O-Line is depleted, our secondary is fairly weak.

Under former starting QB Jordan Steffy, we beat Villanova and FIU, lost a heartbreaker to Wake Forest, got stomped by West Virginia and probably would have lost to Rutgers. He got knocked out against Rutgers, backup QB Chris Turner comes in and wins that game, beats Ga. Tech at home, and is now in his second true start.

Here's why Terps win:
Virginia hasn't beaten anyone legitimate yet this season. The upper half of the ACC could probably go 7-0 with that schedule. The only reason they've had a good season is that their starting RB Cedric Peerman is rushing for a 97.5 yards per game and 5 touchdowns. Unfortunately for Virginia, Peerman is out for the game due to an injury last week. QB Jameel Sewell is throwing for 137 yards per game and has 7 TDs to his 5 INTs this season.

Maryland's defense is significantly better than any of the teams Virginia has played this year. Maryland has faced great rushing attacks against West Virginia, Georgia Tech and Rutgers. This is a vacation for the rush defense this week. Maryland also gets Butkus semifinalist Erin Henderson back this week. It's homecoming for Maryland, fans are going to be rowdy for this 8pm game that will be on ESPN2. Coach Friedgen will no doubt have this team pumped up, especially with 100+ recruits visiting this week.

Maryland has a tendency to win close games, which is why I'm not touching the spread. I think it could come down to a field goal. Virginia's rush defense is allowing 111 yards per game, which is pretty good, however they have faced poor rushing attacks of Georgia Tech (#17), Wyoming (#54), Pittsburgh (#72), Middle Tennessee St (#77), North Carolina (#104), Duke (#116). Maryland's rush offense is ranked #52 but is second-best in the ACC.

That's all. Good luck this week, ladies and gents.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: POTW: Maryland over UVA moneyline

[ QUOTE ]
Look who they've beaten:
UConn, Duke, UNC, Midd Tenn St, Pitt

[/ QUOTE ]

They also beat Georgia Tech.

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia hasn't beaten anyone legitimate yet this season. The upper half of the ACC could probably go 7-0 with that schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with that at all. The ACC is weak this year, and Virginia IS in the top half of the ACC. Besides, I think the fact that you overlooked them already playing (and beating) Ga Tech would probably change your own opinion on this statement.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: POTW: Maryland over UVA moneyline

You're right, UVA did beat GT. It was a solid win, their only legitimate test at all this year. But they did it without having to face much Tashard Choice (5 carries), so I still have not been impressed with their rush defense this year and think that they have inflated numbers due to weak scheduling.