Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 12:24 AM

Default MONSTER 2/4: 88 from the blinds

i'm not sure how to feel about this hand mainly because i didn't have a plan. comment wherever you deem appropriate please. thanks.

applicable reads: button is a slightly loose tag, no meaningful stats but probably a 20/13/2-3 type. utg+1 is an lpp.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)
Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Button calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: MONSTER 2/4: 88 from the blinds

I think the flop is a standard checkraise here.

Your choice to raise the turn instead is weird. I know it's not folding better hands and I'm also not that comfortable versus villain's hand range. I suppose villain could have something like AJ, AQ, AK with a heart. Whatever the case, when I raise this turn, I'm check/calling most non heart rivers as I no longer expect to get any value from busted overs and busted four flush draws. That particular river I'm definitely not betting.

Aside from that, we've got some outs so folding to a three bet on our turn c raise would be tough.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:48 AM

Preflop call is easy.

I think I checkraise this flop instead of the turn. After everyone has checked, Button will bet any hand here most of the time. Once SB folds, I can face the entire field with 2 cold. This gives a much better idea as to where your hand stands.

After that, the whole hand plays differently.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 AM

its been said, c/r the flop and then lead the turn. the turn c/r is going to scare a hand like jj or qq, and cost you more bets, whereas if you get 3 bet on the flop, you can c/f the turn unimproved. so instead of 3.5 bb (.5 flop, 1 on the river and 2 on the turn) you spend 1.5bb if ur behind.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 AM

the decision to checkraise the turn rather than the flop is likely a huge error for several reasons.

your margin of error is much smaller given that the bets are double sized on the turn, so you need to be checkraising with the best hand with a greater frequency than you would if you were to checkraise the flop.

however, given that he does bet the turn, the likelyhood of you having the best hand has dwindled, making your delay checkraise more costly. see why?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop is a standard checkraise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't get much more standard

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever the case, when I raise this turn, I'm check/calling most non heart rivers as I no longer expect to get any value from busted overs and busted four flush draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM

i agree that the flop c/r is pretty standard whenever i formulate a plan on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

as for the river. yeah that's probably my least favorite street. it's like every street's action belonged on another street.

thanks for the replies.